Quenton's service comments

Hi Rif, Yes the WC-1, NE, and early SE motors use the same crankshaft, but I heard a rumor that the current motors testing the CVT have a different width. The main difference between the WC-1 and the NE cases are centered around two changes. The later NE case has the oil breather exit closed on the flywheel side of the motor, and the cylinder guide dowel has been moved from the left rear to the left front of the cases [flywheel side]. When installing a NE cylinder on the WC-1 cases it is necessary to enlarge the left rear bolt hole in the cylinder to accept the dowel [a 10 second modification]. A few other differences between the WC-1 and the NE bottom ends includes a balanced flywheel and a different sidecover. The balanced flywheel will fit on either motor and so will the side cover. It is also important to note the later NE or the SE [what I named the Ambassador motor because SE is part of the serial number] used a different alternator and a different flywheel [I think it puts out 81 Watts, but that figure could be a rumor]. The new alternator has more coils and the flywheel magnets appear to be at a different interval. I was told the later system wouldn't fit the earlier cases, but it sure bolted up when I was assembling the last of the motor kits I sold. BTW the early SE motor is also the same except for an area machined at the rear to mount the starter brackets. The later alternator has additional wires to help power the lights to conserve power to keep the battery charged, but I made several adapter plugs that connect the later system to any model from 1999 to 2007.

Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks so much! I've got nearly enough bits to assemble another motor, but the crank is WC1, and I would need to find the lower cases, bearings, and dipstick. I assumed it would be easier to find NE5, so I wanted to make sure about interchangeability. Thanks again, it is very much appreciated

Back