Whizzer Motor Removal 1999

Local time
4:05 AM
Greetings, my Dad gave me his 1999 Whizzer. It only has 99 miles on it and I've put 9 of those miles on it. The issue everyone talks about happened and it lost power and I can't get it to start now.

I'm totally green on this. I bought a 'block' - is that the correct term? - from Quenton in the 2023 Bike Show in Portland, Indiana.
I followed up and bought a head, bolt kit, gaskets, carburetor, etc.

Now I want to remove the motor, clean it up, and replace the block & head & carburetor and do it right.

Q) Can I leave the oil in it for this?

So far, I have removed the easy stuff:
  1. Seat
  2. Gas tank
  3. Exhaust
  4. Battery
  5. Air filter
  6. Clutch cable
  7. A couple hoses coming out of the motor
Now I am left with the belts and the flywheels and motor mounts and stuff. That's where I am not sure how to proceed.

I have lots of questions, but for now....

Q) There is a small black box held on with two screws that has wires attached to it - See attached pic - I removed the screws for now. It looks like one of the wires goes behind the flywheel, and I'm not quite sure what that is.

Q) What are next steps to getting the motor removed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1999newbie.jpg
    1999newbie.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 103
You are going to need the help and advice of our three "resident Whizzer experts" here... @Wrench, @mason_man, @Risk Man,... @Quenton Guenther is also a member here as well but not on too often these days...Your just gonna have to wait until they roll outta bed and have their coffee to be halfway human again,...lol...but these guys are the Wizards of Whizzers...lol...lol.

Thanks @DAMIEN1307 ! I met Quenton at the show, he sold me the block. I met Paul Frey who sold me head and rest of things.
I think it is a simple enough operation to complete - I know the experienced guys can do it best, but I think I can do some of this.

I know I need to torque the bolts correctly when I attach the head and so forth, and there's probably so much more to be careful of, but I hope, with the help of some helpful folks online, that I can get through this unscathed.

Greetings, my Dad gave me his 1999 Whizzer. It only has 99 miles on it and I've put 9 of those miles on it. The issue everyone talks about happened and it lost power and I can't get it to start now.

I'm totally green on this. I bought a 'block' - is that the correct term? - from Quenton in the 2023 Bike Show in Portland, Indiana.
I followed up and bought a head, bolt kit, gaskets, carburetor, etc.

Now I want to remove the motor, clean it up, and replace the block & head & carburetor and do it right.

Q) Can I leave the oil in it for this?

So far, I have removed the easy stuff:
  1. Seat
  2. Gas tank
  3. Exhaust
  4. Battery
  5. Air filter
  6. Clutch cable
  7. A couple hoses coming out of the motor
Now I am left with the belts and the flywheels and motor mounts and stuff. That's where I am not sure how to proceed.

I have lots of questions, but for now....

Q) There is a small black box held on with two screws that has wires attached to it - See attached pic - I removed the screws for now. It looks like one of the wires goes behind the flywheel, and I'm not quite sure what that is.

Q) What are next steps to getting the motor removed?

Thanks!
Hi, this should help you out.

Ray
20230917_102956.jpg

I know one of the whizzer generations has an issue with valve seats. A machine shop wouldn't charge too much to replace them if that's your issue

small black box - Signal Pick Up - It tells the CDI when to deliver voltage to the coil - spark
Wires that go behind the flywheel go to the Stator
Basic Explanation:
Flywheel spins and the Trigger Plate on the flywheel (small metal tab) passes by the P/U sending a signal to the CDI to deliver voltage to the coli - spark
DSCF0185.JPG

To pull the flywheel you'll need a 3 jaw puller
DSCF2457.JPG

I know one of the whizzer generations has an issue with valve seats. A machine shop wouldn't charge too much to replace them if that's your issue
He is suggeting that he is replacing the top end with an NE5 cylinder from Quenton. That takes care of all of the top end WC1 issues such as the valve seats. That said, this 'Whizzer" owner is going to need some addtional mechanical help (hands on) it sounds like as this is not for someone with no mechanical skills. Looks like Ray got him the engine removal instructions and we will wait for the next set of questions he will have .

small black box - Signal Pick Up - It tells the CDI when to deliver voltage to the coil - spark
Wires that go behind the flywheel go to the Stator
Basic Explanation:
Flywheel spins and the Trigger Plate on the flywheel (small metal tab) passes by the P/U sending a signal to the CDI to deliver voltage to the coli - spark
View attachment 198932
To pull the flywheel you'll need a 3 jaw puller
View attachment 198931
Thank you, this is very helpful. I shall get me one and start pulling!

Back