Real Fast Idle on66cc

http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=860
picture.php

Its a $3 off brand replacement muffler for a 5hp Briggs vertical shaft lawnmower.
It bolted right up with the stock gasket and $1 worth of replacement bolts. (use locktite!)
Well, I did have to peen the back of it a little to clear the fins.

I will check to see if the gasket has gone bad. But it idled higher than many HT's from the first run (only used this muffler since build).
I've taken it off once to survey the inside of the engine after break in (all good). The gasket was ok. I think Sick has some better ones. Probably a lawn mower shop will have them too, but you will have to hollow out the cavity more with an Exacto blade.

You are probably talking about the 1/2" pipe thread screw on round mufflers. Those are cool, but I don't know if any bolt on with the briggs 2 bolt pattern. Scooter stores have the Xchamber things and scooter mufflers (boxes) even that can take a stock muffler bolted to the exit port.

Last edited:
Thank you. Its my latest hobby. I can't leave it alone. I drive it to work all the sunny days, and most folks love it. The kids at the Sonic come out to ogle it and make me rev it up. People at stop lights want me to do burnouts but I tell them its too high geared for that. It only goes 32, but will climb hills in mud at just above 9mph without stalling or shuddering.

I put the Maxpower muffler on it because the stock Black Cat wouldn't fit the wide frame, and I broke it trying to heat it up and bend it. hahaha. It sounds like a McCullough chainsaw. RRRRRRRUN NUN UN UN UN UN UN.

I gotch there, HC...32 is **** good speed..I could get up to 35 with the xchamber..dont want to go that fast very long anyway..You're right at a light they all want you to burn out..I just pedal away and pop the clutch..pedalling gets me going fast pretty quick...36T spkt good choice!

Back