recumbent meets rackmount - the perfect match

vegaspaddy

Local time
12:53 AM
hi everyone,

was surfing around the other night and found a new bike conversion in the recumbent section by a new member called rear engine.

http://www.cruzbike.com/conversions.html

i think the low sitting position puts people of recumbents because they see themselves getting squashed..... HUMMER RAGE!!!!!!

This kit mounts onto a 26 inch bike lifting you well of the road and in view of the road around you.

If you scroll down a couple of pics from the top of this link will see the perfect setup to tour the country with and it would be perfect for a titan or gebe rig.

http://sites.google.com/site/diariodovaldo/cruzbike

Whats cool about this kit is:

A : since i cant weld and make one myself this is a complete conversion kit

B : Good Quality recumbents with quality parts are EXPENSIVE, this lets you pick your own good quality mass produced 26 inch bike ($$$$$$ way cheaper) and convert it into a bike similar to a SWB recumbent.

Since buying my wifes trike last year i have become totally addicted to riding these bikes !!! whats cool about them, everything!!! you get to exercise even with the engine and the best part you get to sit down and relax while doing it ( no more backaches...). Am sure i can convert one or two members over to the world of LAZYBOY cycling and this setup is going to be my winter project for next year.

Last edited:
That is an awesome set-up.

i built a couple no-weld recumbents years ago, from plans I found on the net..... one was FWD like this kit. It worked really well, but was UNCOMFORTABLE !!!
With some rear suspension... & a welder.... I may try another one.

thanks VP for this post!!

as a tall guy (with a buncha brand new toys) all i can say is...holy-moly, that's NICE!

i see some land-speed potential in that concept :helmet:

i wonder if you could get just the seat and seat back. having now seen them i COULD do them myself but others may not.

i have a frame design and layout that this seating configuration would really simpify.

OTOH, there are alot of guys around here that ride high end SWB recumbents and when asked about their opinion of motorizing seem very consistant in a display of terror.

it seems that with the body mass so far ahead of the rear axle AND so nearly over the steering stem that bumps and other irregularities can be very twitchy even at just pedal speed.

the suspension of this unit may cancel much of that out however.

thought this looked familiar, user" rearengine" has a thread about his build with these components and actually has a seating and bar position that seems more sensible, comfortable and controllable than those straight flat bars on top of a tiller rod ( like on the web site )

thanks,
steve

Last edited:
Yeah i have to give rear engine all the credit for bringing this kit on here....

if you search around the cruzbike site, will find that the setup is highly adjustable, there are lots of other different builds and you will see a wide selection of handlebars used, not just the straight config,

The main issue with this setup is center of gravity so the smaller frame will get your weight lower, and the use of the full suspension helps smooth out the bumbs, some of the riders even take them on single track trials.

I thought this might interest one or two of you, i have seen diy builds around the web similar but they are way out of my league, kits i can deal with!!!!

This machine can fly thats for sure, searching around it seems roadies use them for training, although its the lighter non conversion type. With the right fairing and good gearing ratio am sure this baby would fly. Its 6 months to winter better start saving.

Am sure they would sell parts separate, reading the fourm from there website it seems alot of people actually ditch the kit seat and make their own, its not to everyones liking...just like us more tinkering!!!!

bill's Goose

Hi Guys&Gals
Thanks Vegaspaddy
My Mongoose with the kit is a blast to ride, once you get used to the moveable bottom bracket. Thier is a short learning curve, 1/2 to 1 hour ,then I was doing figure 8. You ride it quite like a D/f when going up hill, or sprinting.
You find your self pulling into the power stroke, like you racers going for the finish line..But with much more comfort:D
I think a rack mount would work on these bikes as any other with rear suspension. I do believe the closer you keep the weight mass as close to a line though the hubs the better though..
A pic of my next build... Going with a front hub motor, and batteries under the seat .. Wadayathink??? Take care Bill

Attachments

• Bikes 005.jpg
    Bikes 005.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Picture 160.jpg
    Picture 160.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 333
Srdavo..
Not a kit.. Engine is mounted on the cranks where the bottom bracket used to be. Over center leaver drops the friction drive roller on ,or off the tire.. There are some detailed pic in the picture gallery, page # 2 under Bill's Goose

Ya..
The engine is a Fuji Robin EC04er 40cc 2stroke, long shaft, no clutch.. Discontinued now I guess. I think it was meant for pumps, cement vibrators and such.. I think there are China Knock offs of the engine though.. take care Bill

Back