repack cb-110 hubs without cages?

The grease touches the cone and as I tighten it the cone pushes the grease on the balls which pushes the balls and they fall into the hub. If I went more slowly it might've worked but I wanted to get everything cleaned up. I'll try again at some point. It works for now.

Is it possible that you keep looking at the problem wrong and it's not really a problem? I fail to understand how the cone is pushing anything out of place being that the cone has always locked the bearings in place as I tightened it. Are you using the right bearing size? I still don't understand why you are having so much trouble I think I could pack them with my eyes shut just by feel... Usually the grease holds it all in place right till when the bearing cone takes over. Unless you're not using enough bearings and leaving an unacceptable gap, but then that might explain why the manufacturer used caged bearings (other than simplicity of manufacturing of course.)

Even then a radial side groove bearing should mostly assemble itself in this kind of situation. Try working a little slower, might be you're trying to move too quick and it's messing up the method.
Hey I got my hubs packed right :) I had to take everything off the axle before I put the balls in, and put the motor drive side balls in first, then the big cone, then other side, then the pedal sprocket, then little pedal sprocket cone, then screw the axle in. And it took forever and I had to use a little Allen key with a magnet to fish the balls out of the hub every time one fell in. But it rolls real smooth like now :). I also figured out how to use a drilled hypodermic needle and a coffee straw thing to fill the bearing with high temp grease after loosening the pedal side cone without losing balls. I think this all would've been easier with the coaster brake shoes, or the pedal brake things, whatever you call them, actually in the hub. The space they normally occupy is where the balls would fall into.

Back