Repair kits/pumps

berdomb

Local time
7:43 PM
I won't ride a bike farther away from home than I'm willing to walk it back...... Without ability to repair a tire, etc.

Are there any widely held opinions of the best inexpensive repair kits or pumps for the money? Or ones that are a POS to avoid? Any come in a frame bag big enough to shove an xtra inner tube into also? How do people store their stuff like this on their bikes?

I have saddle bags. I can carry a tool bag, extra inner tubes and an air pump.
Small pipe air pumps can be attached to the frame and a patch kit can be kept under the seat
Just gotta figure where ya can stash a wrench and some tire spoons. Maybe carry a small bag under the seat for everything.
This is the air pump I carry. I can see how much air I put in. It's lasted me 15 years and still works like it's brand new.
WIND PIPE - By Specialized - it can pump high pressure for air suspension forks and low pressure for tires & can be attached to the frame
$25 Never let me down it 15 years
DSCF3108.JPG
DSCF3109.JPG
DSCF3110.JPG
DSCF3111.JPG

Are there any widely held opinions of the best inexpensive repair kits or pumps for the money? Or ones that are a POS to avoid? Any come in a frame bag big enough to shove an xtra inner tube into also? How do people store their stuff like this on their bikes?
For what its worth, I have not done any tire or tube repairs bordering close to six years and 7000 miles coming up on me here.

Im in a desert area with many "goat heads", "tumbleweeds", "mesquite thorns" as well as potholes, broken glass, and other miscellaneous road hazards lost from other motor vehicles falling apart as there moving.

Ive hit my fair share of things on the road with zero effect to my tubes and tires.

The Reason???...Kevlar reinforced tires, and Super Thick self-sealing tubes...(I remove cheap, stock, tires and tubes from any bikes ive had).

YEP...It is more expensive, about 50 dollars per wheel, but id rather spend that money, then my time sweating to death under the desert sun and temps going as high as 110 degrees farenheit, just to take apart a tire and tube to repair them and remount everything over and over again.

I havent used a tire/tube patch repair kit in years, and last year i even stopped carying my Zefal Big Foot, foot powered tire pump with me.

I call this, "Proper Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance"...lol...and at 65 Years of age with many health problems, money well spent versus complicating those problems with extended exposure to extreme temp. conditions in the desert while physically exerting myself more than what is necessary in these conditions...just my two cents worth...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...regarding "How do people store their stuff" on bikes???...Look no farther then my pics below.

though its not shown, i have also added a cylindrical shaped "tool bag" thats attached to my front handlebars for common tools that could be necessary quickie repairs on the road for the occasional "errant" nut or bolt that loosens as well as a "bikers" best friend, Zip Ties...lol.

DSCN0172.JPG
DSCN0173.JPG
DSCN0174.JPG
DSCN0175.JPG

Last edited:
For what its worth, I have not done any tire or tube repairs bordering close to six years and 7000 miles coming up on me here.

Im in a desert area with many "goat heads", "tumbleweeds", "mesquite thorns" as well as potholes, broken glass, and other miscellaneous road hazards lost from other motor vehicles falling apart as there moving.

Ive hit my fair share of things on the road with zero effect to my tubes and tires.

The Reason???...Kevlar reinforced tires, and Super Thick self-sealing tubes...(I remove cheap, stock, tires and tubes from any bikes ive had).

YEP...It is more expensive, about 50 dollars per wheel, but id rather spend that money, then my time sweating to death under the desert sun and temps going as high as 110 degrees farenheit, just to take apart a tire and tube to repair them and remount everything over and over again.

I havent used a tire/tube patch repair kit in years, and last year i even stopped carying my Zefal Big Foot, foot powered tire pump with me.

I call this, "Proper Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance"...lol...and at 65 Years of age with many health problems, money well spent versus complicating those problems with extended exposure to extreme temp. conditions in the desert while physically exerting myself more than what is necessary in these conditions...just my two cents worth...lol...DAMIEN

Fully agree on the prevention.
But that still doesn't negate the need to carry simple common repair supplies. That would be foolish.

Ive only had 3 flat tires (other than a nail or something that was a very slow leak) in 39 years and 850,000+ miles of driving. But I wouldn't go driving around without a spare. Avoiding the potential problem is too easy.

Fully agree on the prevention.
But that still doesn't negate the need to carry simple common repair supplies. That would be foolish.

Ive only had 3 flat tires (other than a nail or something that was a very slow leak) in 39 years and 850,000+ miles of driving. But I wouldn't go driving around without a spare. Avoiding the potential problem is too easy.
Ahhh, but i DO carry one very essential common "repair" supply...its my cell phone, one of the great things about living in Alamogordo NM is i have many friends that are military or Sheriffs deputies including the actual High Sheriff himself...They all own pickup trucks and all have told me to call them if ever stuck on the road...havent had to do this yet though...problem solved...lol...Any other repairs i can do on the road, nuts, bolts, gas lines, cables, master links, spark plugs, spare tensioner roller, a spare carbie, and tools and zip ties of course...I just cant be bothered with repairing tires on the road is all, thats why i splurged on Kevlars and self-sealing tubes...lol...best money ive spent yet on a bike...No tire/tube problems in all these years now, and they wear like iron...DAMIEN

Last edited:

Ps...regarding "How do people store their stuff" on bikes???...Look no farther then my pics below.

though its not shown, i have also added a cylindrical shaped "tool bag" thats attached to my fron handlebars for common tools that could be necessary quickie repairs on the road for the occasional "errant" nut or bolt that loosens as well as a "bikers" best friend, Zip Ties...lol.
Can you get Kevlar Tires in 26' x 2.125 I haven't seen any. The biggest I've seen is 1.95 or maybe 2.0 and nothing in a Classic Knobbie

Last edited:
Ahhh, but i DO carry one very essential common "repair" supply...its my cell phone, one of the great things about living in Alamogordo NM is i have many friends that are military or Sheriffs deputies including the actual High Sheriff himself...They all own pickup trucks and all have told me to call them if ever stuck on the road...havent had to do this yet though...problem solved...lol...Any other repairs i can do on the road, nuts, bolts, gas lines, cables, master links, spark plugs, spare tensioner roller, a spare carbie, and tools and zip ties of course...I just cant be bothered with repairing tires on the road is all, thats why i splurged on Kevlars and self-sealing tubes...lol...best money ive spent yet on a bike...No tire/tube problems in all these years now, and they wear like iron...DAMIEN
I suppose that works if you never go anywhere on it........
Have you tried calling them from 50 miles away and asking them to come get you?
Assuming you're not out in the sticks that is where there's no cell service.

NM is one of the best states to visit to see stuff. That really surprises a lot of people. Ive driven all over it. Parts are more like a foreign country, than many foreign countries. Ive spent lots of time in Taos.

Last edited:
Back