Replacing the cheap Chinese bolts with studs

I've got a bottoming tap and there is all kinds of meat around the existing hole, so I'm not worried. Loctite is always a good thing but I wonder how effective it is with the very hot expansion and contraction around the exhaust port.

They use the grade that they use because it is correct. Learn how to use them correctly. The fasterner is designed to strip before you destroy the soft arse aluminium case threads. Switching to a heavy grade is gonna cause you more problems and more money. No one uses bolts correctly. All of you way over torque and smash the lock washers. Then they do nothing, smashed lock washers dont lock. I work in the fastener business, ik what im talking about. Stick to grade 2, any higher will strip your case threads. Only thing you should change, the lock washer, go with internal star washers.

Blue loctite is also your friend (y)(y) . I had over 4.000 miles on my bike and I NEVER had a bolt or nut vibrate loose.
Agreed, mine never loosen on me at all...its nice to not have to constantly maintain a bike all the time...thats why i build them the way i do...more fun to ride them then maintain them...Just like wives & GFs...lol

Blue loctite is also your friend (y)(y) . I had over 4.000 miles on my bike and I NEVER had a bolt or nut vibrate loose.
I call it " smurf blood". Lol. I have a large bottle of smurf blood on the shelf in my shop. Stuff is magical when it comes to these bikes. I second your recommendation for using smurf blood on the fasteners. Saves so much time retorquing all the mount nuts before each ride.

You make a valid argument Karl but I'll follow my gut and install studs. Helicoils are a real PITA of which I've seen too many.

This is industry standard. Everything built by a reputable company will always have a bolt strip before a nut or hole it is going into. Every company worth its name builds this way. An reason i say star washers, same reason military switched to em, everyone always over fuqn torques sh!t. I used to 30 years ago when i was still young and thought i knew everything. None of this info was created by me, all by a standardisation group that spent billions to set the world straight. Research it, i had to learn it long ago for an industry i do tons of work for. Im a fabricator by trade. I make the things that keep all you alive. If i didnt know my job, buildings would collapse, signs would topple on cars running down high speed thoroughfares, nuke plants would explode, high volume oil lines would blow apart, etc, etc.
You make a valid argument Karl but I'll follow my gut and install studs. Helicoils are a real PITA of which I've seen too many

Ok guys I need some help. I over torqued the intake bolts and stripped the treads out of the motor. Now Ive heard you can replace them with the next size bigger bolt, causing it to make its own threads. What size bolts or studs (preferred) do I need???

Ok guys I need some help. I over torqued the intake bolts and stripped the treads out of the motor. Now Ive heard you can replace them with the next size bigger bolt, causing it to make its own threads. What size bolts or studs (preferred) do I need???
1/4-20 tap the hole and drop in 1/4-20 studs

No need to drill or anything, just go right in with a 1/4-20 tap

Don't try and force the bolt to make the threads, use a TAP
Blind Hole Tap

Back