REVIEW 4 cycle up and running report "IT RUNS"

T

thatsdax

ok. All finished..Except for Kill switch and another Kick stand. Forgive the shotty nature of the bicycle. It is a good bike though. TREK 800. So..Here is the deal so far with this new 4 Stroke.

As you can read in another post, Parts were missing. The sprocket that comes with the kit must be a 55T or larger. Since parts were missing, I put on a standard 44T. Later ....Checking the Blue tool bag that came with the kit, I found more than tools...There were all the missing parts I needed..O well...I should have checked the little blue bag..Who would have thought.........But..Anyway..Got her all installed with a 44T. Next...Was to start her and ride her and put some testing miles on this 4 stroke.....

Before starting...I pulled the plug and checked for spark. Standard operating procedure...SOP. On the first pull looking for spark, A double hand full of oil came flying out of the spark plug hole and went all over my garage wall...After some wiping...I covered the engine with a rag and pulled several more times blowing even more oil out from on top of the piston and a lot out of the exhaust port. WOW !! All that oil in the top of the cylinder may have seized my motor or even bent the connection rod with all that excess pressure. Maybe it would have broken my rope starter and saved the engine...Never less..It did not happen..Only because I wanted to check for spark by removing the plug. Since the engine is shipped with no crankcase oil, that must have just been a ton of assembly oil. A TON !!! so...I filled the tank with premix..Since that is all I have..And took the bike out to the drive way...No Joy..I pulled and pulled and pulled !!!! I hate Pull starts !!!!! Finally..I go some ether and sprayed some into the intake...She fired..only until the ether burned off.. I pulled the plug and dripped some fuel in there... Pulled several times...She fired..and ran till that burned off. So..Back into the garage she went... I pulled the carb and took it apart and cleaned all the jets. Oh..Did I mention..I filled the crankcase with 10W40 Valvoline.

ok...Back out to the drive way... All is ready except the kill switch..Pull...and pull..and..Did I mention I hate pull starts ? I hate pull starts...On the 3 pull..She lit.. I made some carb adjustments...And Jumped on the bike..And away I rode !!!!! Yea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok...We are cooking now !!! She runs great !!! About the same power and speed as the two stroke. This surprised me. It feels like more torque for sure..About the same speed...Not sure..But at any rate..She runs great with less vibration and less engine noise..But the auto clutch with reduction gear drive makes a whine !! I mean..A whine !! IT is louder than the the 2 stroke for sure !!! All because of this Transmission. Wow !!! It is a Whining Screamer !!! I thought that since this transmission is enclosed, and having no directions at all. I felt that this was a wet clutch and gear enclosure and that is was screaming for oil !!!! So..I took her home and added 1/2 pint of 10W40 to the enclosure ... And...That was a messy mistake. It all came back out the little vent hole drilled in the filler bolt . It came out ...All of it..All over my bike , leg and everything..So..I guess it is a dry clutch with reduction gear..lol...Anyway..That is the latest.
I will now go and put on miles and see if she goes or blows !!! That is why I bought this motor.. To test and see if they are better than the traditional 2 strokes. Well..Here are the pictures of one of the first installed and running 4 stroke kits I know of...I will keep you all posted of the progress !!! Thanks again... and remember.... Thats DAX !!!!!
8_MVC007L_1.jpg

8_MVC008L_1.jpg

The 56T sprocket has to go. It is just too big and it is very hard to stop the chain scratching against the chain stay on its return journey along the bottom. It really is too big for a 26" wheel and if I push the chain tensioner over to move the chain closer to the wheel the chain hits the metal arm of the tensioner. A solution would be another spacer between the sprocket and the chain stay to push the chaain stay away but that would have ramifications. I'll try the 48T sprocket tomorrow. My guess is it will be OK except really steep hills will be too much for it and normal hills will take a bit of hard pedalling but the 56T needs moderate pedalling on hills so I'm going to find out. Don't want the problems of the 56T and very small clearances.

Grubee 36

The gearbox on my Grubee was really, really loud for the first few hundred miles, then it progressively got quieter...just my experience. Mystik high-temp grease has worked well for me.

I'm running a 36 tooth sprocket on mine and it really is weak on the low end...but its a rocket on flat ground, and smooth as silk. :eek:

Hi Capitol, I take it that you can't get up steep hills or even fairly long ordinary hills with a 38T sprocket. I certainly couldn't. I'm just setting off now to try the 48T sprocket. There is a hill near my home that even the 56T struggles on. That one will probably be impossible with anything less but it's OK to dismount & push on the very occasional hill. I notice the 4-stroke doesn't like going slowly below its power band and pedalling can't get it up above that limit on some hills. Will report tonight on the efficacy of the 44T sprocket with the Huangshen motor.

Today I tried out the 48T sprocket and it is the preferred one by a clear margin. Much faster cruising than the 56T and the engine is at comfortable revs. It pulls OK on hills with pedalling on the steep bits. Long very steep hills are probably out but I mean very steep. The 44T just couldn't take the normal hills. So, Guys, the 48T is the go.
On the way home my gearbox or engine started snatching and missing like i'd too loose a chain or, woe betide, lost gear teeth. I tightened the chain which had loosened cos the wheel is a snap on axle and snap-ons just aren't good enough for a high torque motor - the move under puulling force of chain (I'll put a bolt on axle on Monday). The snatching was still happening. I got home with difficulty crying over a wrecked gearbox & cursing the chinese as is my habit. I looked at the gears and they are OK. Could it be the centrifugal clutch? I had let a friend ride it for a short 400 yards and I feared hed engaged the engager at high revs and snapped some drive shaft. Is it a fuel problem? How do I clean the carb? The motor only snatches and misses under load - it revs fine without load. I wonder what the problem is? I hope I haven't stuffed the centrifugal clutch or the drive sprocket. The engager mechanism is fine and all the gears have their teeth OK. I'm sure my friend did something and I'm wondering what it is. Hope it's fuel line or carby.

It sounds like your friend might have sheared a key by engaging the engager when engine was at a high RPM.

Butch is it a key on the final drive shaft to the sprocket or the main drive shaft from the engine?

If it is a sheared key then more than likely it would be on the small final drive sprocket. This is a pretty small key and would be the weakest link. If you find that you need a new key you might have to get a 1/8" key from a hardware store and grind or file it to fit. Hope this helps.

If it is a sheared key then more than likely it would be on the small final drive sprocket. This is a pretty small key and would be the weakest link. If you find that you need a new key you might have to get a 1/8" key from a hardware store and grind or file it to fit. Hope this helps.

Does that shaft come out easily?

The sprocket should come off the shaft fairly easy. After removing the small bolt you could try tapping or gently prying around the sprocket to get it loose.

Back