Rick's First Build, Black Max

Well, this is my first attempt at uploading pictures, so we'll see how it goes...

Here is the bike I started with. I bought it off Amazon, super cheap. Basically, I wanted the Schwinn cantilever frame, and a single speed. I bought this particular one because it had fenders, and I planned on using the fenders as molds for some wooden fenders I wanted to make. This is the link to Schwinn's page for this bike. (I mistakenly called the image a "schwinn-landmark," but it's actually a "Sanctuary.")

schwinn-landmark.jpg

While scraping together the cash for my engine kit, I ripped the bike apart and repainted from bare metal. Those China bikes use laquer paint, not urethane. Did you know that? You can tell because acetone will dissolve dried laquer. I call this finish "stealth fighter." It's actually polished primer, smooth as glass.

max-v1.jpg

A few things to note: That's a Sunlite replica springer fork, and it was a pain every step of the way. It didn't fit, so had to bend the top piece. It needed a mounting plate for the disk brake. I got that from Venice Motor Bikes. I ended up brazing in some bushings where the fork swivels below the headset, and while I was at it, I brazed on the disk adapter plate. It's better now, but the whole assembly still feels a bit noodlely to me. I wanted that retro look though! I shoulda sprung for a Monark style fork. In this photo, I had not gotten to the chopped fenders that I later installed, and I replaced the stock chainwheel and crank with a three piece alloy one.

Note too the Brooks saddle. Cost me more than the bike, and worth it. Man, I love those saddles! This one was my first springer though.

At this writing, the only stock parts on the bike are the bearings and nuts in the headset, and I'll replace those, I'm sure. The bearings in these China Schwinns are cheap, cheap, cheap!

Right now, I'm tearing down the 66cc GT5 I got from enginesonline. They were cheap, and they shipped to California, but I wish I had bought my kit from Venice Motor Bikes. I'm sure Norm would know what's in the boxes he sells, unlike the guys I bought from. No biggy. I figured it out by going on Grubee's website.

Next, I'll show some stuff about the motor and all that. In the mean time, I rebuilt my road bike, so I have something to ride while Max is worked on.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Sweet bike. Mighty fine job, usually the first time is a hurry up and get it done type of thing. It's funny how you find a bike that is a perfect candidate and then basically replace every part on it. Very nice write up too.

Thanks! I know what you mean, but the "perfect candidate" was far from perfect. For one, the tires sucked, and every bearing in the stock bike was extremely poor quality. I have, like just about any rat rodder, a tire and wheel fetish. If you are gonna go deluxe but you wanna save some green, put your money in tires and wheels.

What was great about the starting point was a great frame. Even though built in China, the welds were very clean, and the steel had a nice bounce. The Chinese DO have a tradition of craftsmanship, you know? They are just like us. They may work in a factory, but humans are humans, and humans have pride.

Clean sharp looking bike.
Is this the moto bike you wanted to ride to the race at Grange Motor Circuit?

This is the bike. I'm working on a custom, long-bed trailer right now. Though, if I could get a ride from the Valley, I'd leave it behind and just bring a backpack. … Er, except, it WOULD be cool to show up with my long distance touring bike, wouldn't it? She's not fast, but, she gets me down the road and over the hills. I'll have ridden her from Fresno to LA already. What's 50 more miles?

Back