Tubes rim damage coming from nipple?

I would have thought a custom GEBE wheel would be more than adequate for the job.....i also would have thought being such a custom wheel it would have been dual-walled.
Dunno in reality how thick/strong these 105g spokes are,they look fine.Keep in mind your essentially driving your wheel through one side of the spokes.
PM "the wheelmaster" & ask his advice,or email him on his website.If anyone knows he does,& please post results.
http://www.thewheelmaster.com/

Grinder scuffs

(Quote from Meatwad) "What I think what you are seeing is a rim built offset on the hub. What is sometimes necessary to do is to grind off the spoke heads where they extend past the nipple and into the tube area. The marks are from a grinder tool bumping the side.

If not and it is due to rubbing something dangerous is going on."

Meatwad, your name doesn't give you enough credit ! your exactly right, you see, the wheel being offset toward the cassette, the spokes protrude through the nipple and into the tube unless their ground off flush, only the spokes on the cassette side stick through in this case because nearly all the tension is on that side of the wheel, the marks you see are from the grinder slipping off the top of the nipple while grinding, this has to be done otherwise the spokes that stick through would pop the tube instantly, it's very difficult to perform this task without having a few nicks on the rim.
1, The rim has not been harmed and is still every bit as strong as before.
2, Electricians tape makes a great rim band and keeps dirt out, combining tape And a rim band would be a great way to go.
3, Make sure the spokes aren't sticking out anywhere past the nipples, if they are, grind them off better and smoother without going to far and taking to much nipple with it, (Bad things can happen if your not careful).
4, The wheel looks sturdy, but you know who to contact if you continue to have trouble.. ;)
5, Double wall rims eliminate the bumps from the nipple and are less prone to flats, but a good tape job and liner should cure your problem....

Best of Luck ! ! ! ! ! !

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense than the damage being caused from riding. I cut an inner tube for a liner, put the old liner on too and a layer of tape over that.

I noticed my Conti T&C tire also had an inch and a half long slit going right through the tread and recessed area of the tire. Must've gone over somethin' fierce for that 2nd flat! So, not the nipps causing the flat after all.

Had a couple mtb tires lying around and threw one on this morning. Just got back from a 16 mile ride and everything's ok!

Thanks Wheelmaster and everyone else!

Back