Schwinn Stingray alternatives? Engine choices?

Attachments

• 20180401_142554.jpg
    20180401_142554.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 116
I'm looking to build my first motorized bike with a 49cc/50cc motor due to restrictions in Canada (specifically Quebec) on what's considered a motorcycle.

I want to build it on a Schwinn Stingray frame, or any similar "chopper" style frame, and I'm having a hard time finding them locally in my area. I've considered buying them from the US or ordering a clone from aliexpress.

So far ordering an older Schwinn Stingray frame seems to be the cheaper option unless I'm missing some other brands/sellers. Does anyone know of similar frames or bikes that are readily available?

And also would any of the available 50 cc motors would work with this frame? I'm not sure what the weight is like. My goal with this is to hit 50 km/h (~30 km/h), since the max speed in area is 50 km/h but even getting around 30 km/h is fine.

You might want to research this further as IIRC Canada as a whole is sort of not supportive of motorized bikes in general. You might get away with something like a Stanton 25 cc friction kit. http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=350

You might want to research this further as IIRC Canada as a whole is sort of not supportive of motorized bikes in general. You might get away with something like a Stanton 25 cc friction kit. http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=350

Yup, I've been in contact with the SAAQ (the DMV here in Quebec) about putting together this bike and they confirmed that unfortunately it would be an offroad only bike.

The issue here, if we're going by the rules set out by them, is that it would be a gas powered, assisted bicycle. The only options for assisted bikes are if they're electric.

HOWEVER...

The definition of a moped is:

"A 2- or 3-wheel passenger vehicle equipped with an electric motor or a gasoline-powered engine with a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cc and an automatic transmission. "

So technically if I remove the pedals or disconnect them, I would have a street legal moped. Would it be worth it? Not sure, but I'm going to find out for the sake of anyone else trying out this project in the future.

Edit: They came back to me and said the issue would be the bicycle frame and that it would not register because the frame is not designed to be used with a gas engine.

Oh well, this is where I give up and send an email to my local government rep I guess.

Last edited:
Just as a final note for any Quebecers/Quebecoi that come along this thread and are dissapointed: You may want to look into Bafang electric Mid Drive motors (like this one on aliexpress) as an option. I can't afford to buy that + a battery pack at the moment, but it seems to be a workable option. If you can find the 1000w motor you can really push out some power and stay within the rules of an electric assisted bike.

The set up seems to be workable as everything but the motor can be mounted with zip ties.

Just as I gave up on the project a perfect condition stingray just went up for sale on Kijiji...

I'm looking to build my first motorized bike with a 49cc/50cc motor due to restrictions in Canada (specifically Quebec) on what's considered a motorcycle.

I want to build it on a Schwinn Stingray frame, or any similar "chopper" style frame, and I'm having a hard time finding them locally in my area. I've considered buying them from the US or ordering a clone from aliexpress.

So far ordering an older Schwinn Stingray frame seems to be the cheaper option unless I'm missing some other brands/sellers. Does anyone know of similar frames or bikes that are readily available?

And also would any of the available 50 cc motors would work with this frame? I'm not sure what the weight is like. My goal with this is to hit 50 km/h (~30 km/h), since the max speed in area is 50 km/h but even getting around 30 km/h is fine.
I recently
And general question for everyone whose motorized an OCC:

Is the kit that pedalchopper sells reasonably priced? https://www.pedalchopper.com/diy-build-your-own-pedalchopper-kit/

I know a 66cc motor kit costs something like 200 dollars, but not sure if everything else is worth the markup. He does sell the individual bracket, modified stem, etc for the bike which is good but not sure if the 500 USD price tag is worth? I'm willing to spend that much, just not sure if it's worth it.
I just bought #3 kit haven't received it yet but already planning on buying more items from Jim because one he was attentive ,two when I asked him his opinion as to what I needed for my circumstance he didn't automatically tell me the most expensive items he had as a matter fact he talked me into a cheaper item he thought would work better ,and lastly I went to some local bike shops and shopped around for some of the things he offers on his site and basically all of them told me his price was way better then what they could offer me for the same item

Back