Should I use lower octane fuel during winter?

GiselleLFreude

Local time
6:28 PM
Hi there. I'm currently using 92 octane fuel in my motorized bike, but I've noticed that it's harder to start when it's cold out. I was wondering if switching to a lower octane fuel could help with cold starting. Please let me know. Thanks! :)

Regular fuel will work fine with no issues unless you modded your motor for high compression stock motors can run regular all day with no issues no matter the weather and temperature but yes low octane will make start up's easier

92 octane is overkill and actually counterproductive for these little engines. A high octane rating is only needed in a high-compression engine, higher than 10:1 to avoid detonation (pre-ignition). My 4-stroke only has a 7:1 compression ratio, which means it won't knock no matter what gas is in it. Lower octane will burn quicker and run better, not just in winter.

Hi there. I'm currently using 92 octane fuel in my motorized bike, but I've noticed that it's harder to start when it's cold out. I was wondering if switching to a lower octane fuel could help with cold starting. Please let me know. Thanks! :)
the only reason to run premium is that its ethinal free (main reason i run it)
but if your engine is hard to start that isnt really a fuel rating issue. try to put the choke on and press the little knob on the side 3-4 times that should flood the carb and make it easier to start.

Only ethanol free I can get here in MN is 91 or higher as well. I think it's 93 in my MB right now and it starts really fast.

Only ethanol free I can get here in MN is 91 or higher as well. I think it's 93 in my MB right now and it starts really fast.
yup, i run 91 on my bike. it runs like a dream! (even on the 97cc bike)
the price isnt really a consern as they get like 100mpg, i have to refill mine like once a month.

I just heard from a Chinese deal not to use high octane there design for low octane I tried high octane once it s**t oil out scared me.
I got a high performance carb but haven't the need to choke it this winter and it's been in single digits.
Is what I do I flood it full throttle for 60 seconds 4 minutes before I try to start it works every time!

Your running to rich, holding it wide open isn't flooding it, it's clearing it out. Wouldn't take 4 minutes to start with a properly set carb.

Hi Giselle, I've seen alot of folks say that higher octane is better but the guy's here whom have stated the fact's are correct about higher octane being needed for high compression engines to stop the chance of detonation.Alot of the guy's on facebook that think they need 94-112 octane because they are running higher compression don't realize that they are actually loseing power to that fuel and their compression isn't high enough to warrent it's use,87-89 octane gives the best over all performance for these engines.Cold start's can be harder and take a bit more effort to get it going even choked.The most commen cause of harder to start is the cdi dying or on it's way out, where it's still producing enough spark to start and run but barely and as it get's worse it'll just get harder to start and keep running at higher rpm. It will seem as if the jetting got richer due to the incomplete burn.

Back