Skyhawk kit, couple questions.....

Okay, been out futilely trying to compression start it, nothing but sputters when releasing the clutch :censored: :
-Pull start repair kit os on it's way, whatever that is!
-Just checked all wiring connections and they seem fine
-There's fuel in the line, but it doesn't appear to be a constant flow, there are bubbles in the line? The plug was all fueled up when I pulled it and had a look
-Next thing will be to drain (again!) and clean the tank and throw the filter

Okay, after forcing myself to go through the entire instruction booklet on the grubee site, I may have done something terribly wrong and inadvertently filled the crankcase with oil as this was not real clear in the instructions that came with the kit....

Obviously I'll now drain the oil, but have I stuffed the clutch?

Okay, after forcing myself to go through the entire instruction booklet on the grubee site, I may have done something terribly wrong and inadvertently filled the crankcase with oil as this was not real clear in the instructions that came with the kit....

You filled it like a 4 stroke!?!? Oooh boy... I hope you haven't run it much...

Here's what the instructions say:
Staring procedure for GGG centrifugal engine kit

1. Check oil level in Centrifugal Clutch: To check remove plug bolt on right side cover: Add up to 80ml (2.7oz) of 30wt oil

Now, here's the same portion, with differences, from the Grubee site:
Starting procedure for Rope pull start > GGG-1 and Dual start > GGG-2 Engine.

1. (GGG-1 Rope pull start: ) WARNING: Wet clutch model; Check oil level in Centrifugal Clutch; To check oil remove plug bolt on right side cover: Add up to 80ml, ( 2.7 oz. ) of 30 wt oil. Do not overfill. Centrifugal Clutch runs in oil bath for cooling: Be sure to wax coat the pull rope to avoid breaking and ensure long life.

2. ( GGG-2 Dual start:) WARNING: Dual start GGG-2 model does not operate in oil bath. This model uses a dry centrifugal clutch. After following steps 1 thru 4 above for standard engine, then pull the recoil rope to start the engine or the GGG-2 engine can be pedal started just like a friction clutch model.

See how much clearer it is! I'm the first to blame myself for not reading instructions clearly, maybe I thought this would be easier and I didn't need to read their poor emglish translated directions :(

Question is, what to do now?

You may get away with cleaning the clutch out with some carb cleaner and/or brake cleaner.

When in doubt read the directions..... :p

From the seller:
Hi Shane, The friction plate clutch will certainly be affected from the oil and there is a good possibility that the ware pads on the centrifugal clutch could also be damaged. It would certainly explain why you were having trouble pedal starting the engine. I have had 4 customers that have made the same mistake as you and 1 of the engines is now running fine but the other three are write offs. I would suggest that you keep the right side cover off the bike for a few days and try to leave the engine near a mild heat source, even the heat that comes off a lamp will definitely help (if the heat source is to hot it can do more damage to the ware pads and affect the glue compound of the pads). The customer that has successfully used there engine after being filled with oil realised there mistake within an hour of filling the engine. If you have a rattle gun I would also suggest that you remove the centrifugal clutch and housing from the friction clutch as this is the most vital area to remove the oil from. If you try to remove the oil with solvent or degreaser you will do more damage to the clutches than the oil has. Let me now how it goes.

exactly where did you put the oil in the engine? you said crankcase? If it still sputtered like it wanted to start, when you tried to pedal start it, it sounds like your dry friction clutch is working okay. Can you get the oil you added out of there?

Back