Solder connections

Chainlube

Local time
8:57 PM
For those guys who have never soldered before and would like to make a solid wire connection. If you're going to use shrink, put it on before you start and keep it away from the heat. Cross the two wires across each other and twist together. Place the connection on the soldering iron and wait for it to get hot. When hot, touch the connection with the rosin core solder. If hot enough the solder will melt sealing the connection. Once cool, slide the shrink wrap in place and warm it up to seal.

Attachments

• 20210826_161255.jpg
    20210826_161255.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20210826_161330.jpg
    20210826_161330.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210826_161457.jpg
    20210826_161457.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 140
Use Flux too. As soon as the flux starts to bubble or boil put the solder on.

The Flux helps the melting solder get in between the strands of copper wire and helps the solder stick to the wire's better

Use Flux too. As soon as the flux starts to bubble or boil put the solder on.

The Flux helps the melting solder get in between the strands of copper wire and helps the solder stick to the wire's better
I was fixing the connectors on my fish finder and soldering them on, so it prompted me to do a little "how to" on doing the simple connections. Instead of the old crimps that never stay.

Rosin core solder gets between the wires pretty good too, any noob will have the skills to use rosin core, unlike silver and flux.

Rosin core solder gets between the wires pretty good too, any noob will have the skills to use rosin core, unlike silver and flux.

Yes, use Rosin Core 60/40 Lead/Tin and Flux for best results when soldering wire connections

If you're soldering the ends of brake or shifter cables; clean the ends with alcohol. Another technique is to burn the tip of the cable and then solder.

When it comes to stainless steel wire I like using lead-acid solder.

Back