Spark plug gap

? A Lil better explanation plz
All the comments are a bit different some are weaker and need a small gap like 25thou to jump and spark 25,000 volts some are strong 40-60,00 volts and can jump a 30+ thou plug gap... Some are advance of others if you have a mix of parts it could want something in-between ... A Blu spark is what you want with the plug out on the head... A good plug wire cap and plug... Is a good starting point... Good connection on the wires like heat shrink and solder... good connection on the stator to engine block...

All the comments are a bit different some are weaker and need a small gap like 25thou to jump and spark 25,000 volts some are strong 40-60,00 volts and can jump a 30+ thou plug gap... Some are advance of others if you have a mix of parts it could want something in-between ... A Blu spark is what you want with the plug out on the head... A good plug wire cap and plug... Is a good starting point... Good connection on the wires like heat shrink and solder... good connection on the stator to engine block...
One thing that can get over looked is you want to gap the magnet from the stator a business card or a folded dollar so they can't touch or be too far away... tighten and should be able to get the paper out with a slight drag...

? A Lil better explanation plz
A sign of a bad stator or CDI is it will work fine till it warms up... Then crap out.. Briggs and Stratton was famous for this so are these motors works one minute under load will have no power... Everything set up perfect.. a dirty plug on the ceramic insulator can bleed of a charge.. a pencil line will conduct electricity and mess up a plug and distributor as a joke on a new guy in the shop... The wire can get a hairline crack and bleed off the charge... Gets really frustrating when it's something like that...

Deep purple? Which album?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220120-170119.png
    Screenshot_20220120-170119.png
    316.5 KB · Views: 132
@TREEDOM420 I use a cdi called " Catnip". They were $15 bucks when I bought my first one. I think they are $40 now. Match that with an OZ coil, and man you get a really deep purple spark, it never misses. I use them because I have never seen one fail in 5 years I think its been. Maybe more. Timing curve is just a little better than stock, it's a copy of another cdi from days past. If you want even more retarding, then shave half your moon key or take it out altogether and use a star washer and a flat washer to lock it where ever you want it.

@TREEDOM420 I use a cdi called " Catnip". They were $15 bucks when I bought my first one. I think they are $40 now. Match that with an OZ coil, and man you get a really deep purple spark, it never misses. I use them because I have never seen one fail in 5 years I think its been. Maybe more. Timing curve is just a little better than stock, it's a copy of another cdi from days past. If you want even more retarding, then shave half your moon key or take it out altogether and use a star washer and a flat washer to lock it where ever you want it.
There's been so many I don't know what's good that's still available... The fat mag ? CDH ? There's a 12volt... Are the ones I had luck with and the bigger cdI with a 8mm MSD suppression cable and boot for 6 cylinder Chevy 292... My wire connection was mostly the fault... I'm going to try something different for $20 and some of set keys on the magnet... I saw an adjustable one a while ago... It likes the pit bike pipes and carbs why not the ignition... I know I can't be the first one to think about it... Plus it's green... Be so bad a**

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220120-173403.png
    Screenshot_20220120-173403.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 139
There's been so many I don't know what's good that's still available... The fat mag ? CDH ? There's a 12volt... Are the ones I had luck with and the bigger cdI with a 8mm MSD suppression cable and boot for 6 cylinder Chevy 292... My wire connection was mostly the fault... I'm going to try something different for $20 and some of set keys on the magnet... I saw an adjustable one a while ago... It likes the pit bike pipes and carbs why not the ignition... I know I can't be the first one to think about it... Plus it's green... Be so bad ass
To much work for me right now. Plus it needs to be powered. if you run out of battery, you can't get home. lol. I know a hall sensor would be cool and all. I just dont want to spend the time to set up a spin disk and sensor. Like with EFI, one day, just not anytime soon. I'm having fun with the complex simplicity of these engines. I have a lot more to go before I get bored and start doing efi and hall sensors. I just built a rocket fuel mix powered CG, next is a sthl or a Min. I have the Min. spacer for a 40mm throw on the way. I seen a sthl ms660 i think it was, 56mm bore,for $400 bucks though

If you have a deep purple or a blue spark, you have some good power behind it. A white spark or a yellow spark is weak.
Karl unsnarl this into something ? Smolik does the KTM setup on the billet cases... I'm going to study wiring diagrams and eliminate everything but the sparky and use the TZ HD 12v fattest stator and good magnet ... The timing trigger has me baffled...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220120-175411.png
    Screenshot_20220120-175411.png
    363.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_20220120-175348.png
    Screenshot_20220120-175348.png
    375.2 KB · Views: 116
To much work for me right now. Plus it needs to be powered. if you run out of battery, you can't get home. lol. I know a hall sensor would be cool and all. I just dont want to spend the time to set up a spin disk and sensor. Like with EFI, one day, just not anytime soon. I'm having fun with the complex simplicity of these engines. I have a lot more to go before I get bored and start doing efi and hall sensors. I just built a rocket fuel mix powered CG, next is a sthl or a Min. I have the Min. spacer for a 40mm throw on the way. I seen a sthl ms660 i think it was, 56mm bore,for $400 bucks though
Grubee has a buzz on over there Comanche 460 52mm that I was looking at but $500 ? Cheaper than the parts separate I sure they could do a nikasil ms660 that's 54mm there are 38mm stroke... I don't like grubee 3 spring clutch... Why Im into the RDM setup... Sweet set up... I'm thinking it's the case Reid gt 90 bottom the gt5a crank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220120-181419.png
    Screenshot_20220120-181419.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20220120-181432.png
    Screenshot_20220120-181432.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 128
Back