Staton: What size friction roller?

I did 20 miles of city motorbicycling today. Pedalling off is a joy; sometimes it's just a pushoff and a few strokes. As another member mentions, every ride is a downhill ride with the motor engaged.

The reactions are funny sometimes. I commented "...I feel I have to pedal too much"...meaning for a given set-up IE bike, rider weight, engine size and the amount I'm taxing that engine for the return benefit it might provide and I hear "get a scooter". LOL :eek:

Oh well.

Been bicycling to and from work, 6 miles each way, for the past seven or eight years..with errands around town and weekends I average a hundred miles a week pedaling.

Anyway, IMHO the Robin is a sweet little engine and I think will be great for my wife.

Last edited:
Glad I read this thread, I always assumed all friction drives would use the same size rollers. On the Dimension Edge kit I use 3 sizes. With my 43cc mitsu I go with a 1" if I am in a huge hill area and want to have a max speed of about 20. The 1.25" when I weighed 190' would still pull me up a 6-8% long grade w/o pedaling and give me a non pedal max speed at about 28, then the 1.5" get me into the middling to high 30's and pulls 4% or so grades. I did used to run a 1.75" but I don't want to go that fast again, lol. Down here it will be 1.25" while I learn the area then I may step up to the larger one.

I saw some mention of problems with wet roads and rain. DE does offer an all weather drive roller for use in the rain, mud, and etc.

I don't hear much about tire ware when talking about friction drive...what kind of mileage are people getting before tire replacement and what factors add to tire life?

My high-performance tire cracked on the sidewalls from old age before the roller caused its replacement. It was on my bike w/a front electric hub, so I didn't get full tire service.

On my next dual-engine project, I'll experiment with 2.2hp Mits engine and 1.25" roller in front, and another 2.2 hp Mitsubishi engine with 1.5" spindle in the rear.

I wrote to DE and they said to expect at least 800 mile per tire at hot roding speeds...I plan on a 100 mile a day round trip commute. Pumpbuilder's speed per roller was helpful. Schwalbe has a tire that is rated up to 9000 miles (maronthon XT or XR). DE seems to have the simplest system and would be easy to change flats. And the 1.75 roller with the honda 2hp engine is supposedly turning in some good speeds (up to 50 mph). Makes a good case when compared to other systems.

Whoa, 50 mph at 11,000rpm with a 1.75 on a friction drive bicycle!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys...don't get me wrong, not planning on doing 50mph, not crazy....I'm hopeing for a cruise speed of 30 to 35 mph....I get the impression you all don't think the friction drive system is the best way to go? I'm open to suggestions....I have been looking at these systems for a while, both belt chain also.

Back