Sure-Stop Brakes. A good idea for our M.B.'s?

I think that law is intended moreso to prevent an idiot from riding around with dead brakes or even no brakes, makes sense to say you should be able to lock up the wheel because that means the brakes are definitely fully capable of stopping the bike during everyday use.

More of a precaution type law to keep things running civil. One would believe that on the road if comparing a bicycle to every other vehicle except very small motorcycles it is almost impossible to lock the front wheel up and flip over the front wheel unless it's intentional. My bike with my weight on it alone and those 3 inch tires I've locked up the front wheel a small small number of times and only skid the wheel never even had the rear hop up even a bit.

Between going over the bars and hitting a vehicle I pick neither and accept which ever one happens in the situation. I would rather try to ride as carefully as possible as to avoid that type of event, I don't believe that that braking system would make my normal rides any more unsafe than what I normally would be expecting, except that my front wheel would not lock up, since I don't do that often and don't think that I ride bikes enough to consider the over the handlebars method to be part of my braking arsenal, double pull levers and adjusting so the rear catches first, however, is..

I agree, I never had a problem using front rim brakes. I did use rear brakes more but that's because as a kid it was fun to lock the rear up and slide it when you are coming to a stop.

Yea the item is basically geared towards children's bikes where going over the bars is more of a safety issue, wasn't sure if it'd be a good choice for MB's.

I remember doing J skids with my coaster brake kids bike.

That's when you lay the bike down sideways and it leaves a big fat J skid.
It worked best on flat concrete driveways, and we had one, a big one ;-}

As to the OP's original question...
I think that brake system would work on an MB and provide a 3rd 'one lever' brake option for builders.

I remember doing J skids with my coaster brake kids bike.

That's when you lay the bike down sideways and it leaves a big fat J skid.
It worked best on flat concrete driveways, and we had one, a big one ;-}

As to the OP's original question...
I think that brake system would work on an MB and provide a 3rd 'one lever' brake option for builders.
used to love doing that on my old bike when i was younger, you could have one foot down on the brake while the other of dragging behind to guide you. the sure stop just looks like a dual lever system but more complicated. I have a dual ATV lever i got on ebay for cheap, and its nice and long and gives you plenty of leverage.

Back