Tachometer info?

That keeps me between 30 to 35ish, and around 7k is about 40mph, or just shy of it.
Yep, I keep my Phantom at the same speeds as you do...It is an ideal speed range for these little beastie P-85s...You can ride all day long with these things like that and it will never even be breathing heavy...lol.

Thanks. It would have taken me all day to figure that out. You did it for me. You're awesome. If only I had you to copy off of in math class
Glad I could help. I had a feeling that was your setup, which is why I picked it. A 26 inch cruiser with a 44 tooth rear sprocket is kind of the standard setup for 80% of all builds I have seen. Only weirdos with a death wish like me pick 700c road bike or hybrid frames. It's more fun when the wheelbase is short and the steering geometry is aggressive.

Yep, I keep my Phantom at the same speeds as you do...It is an ideal speed range for these little beastie P-85s...You can ride all day long with these things like that and it will never even be breathing heavy...lol.
I've found it to be the best balance point of having the rpm in the peak range of the torque curve while also keeping the revs in a reasonably low range to keep the heat down, and with a speed that creates enough airflow for effective cooling. Also makes for the best fuel economy overall.

I've found it to be the best balance point of having the rpm in the peak range of the torque curve while also keeping the revs in a reasonably low range to keep the heat down, and with a speed that creates enough airflow for effective cooling. Also makes for the best fuel economy overall.
Not to mention the Phantoms with the Hyper Beach Cruiser frame provides an extremely comfortable, casual ride that puts a smile on my face everytime I take her out...lol.

It provides me with more joy and pleasure than the ex-wife ever did...lol...lol.

Gear ratios multiply torque and divide rpm by the ratio. Since they multiply and divide, you also do the same for any subsequent gear ratio in the chain of the drive system. So the 4.1:1 ratio off the clutch gear is multiplied by the sprocket ratio. 4.1 x 4.4 = total gear reduction, which is 18.04:1

In a practical scenario let's say the engine makes 5lb-ft of torque at a peak rpm of 5000.

Since the ratio multiplies that torque and divides the rpm, at the drive sprocket on the motor (your 10 tooth) you would now have 20.5 lb-ft and the sprocket would turn at 1,219.5 rpm.

Take those figures and pass it through the 4.4:1 ratio of a 10 tooth drive and 44 tooth driven on the wheel, and you end up with 90.2lb-ft at 277.16 rpm at the wheel hub.

Or, since we already know the total gear reduction we can simply multiply and divide by 18.04.
5 x 18.04 = 90.2
5,000 ÷ 18.04 = 277.16
Glad I'm not the only one to give math lectures in my explanations xD.

This is what happens with age. Forgo the excitement of twitchy steering at 40mph and sit back and relax on a lazy boring cruiser.
You gotta find the proper ergonomics. I've had bikes that were hella stable at low speeds and very iffy at high speeds. Then I've had bikes that I couldn't take my hands off at low speeds yet I can release the grips once over 30mph and fly true.

You gotta find the proper ergonomics. I've had bikes that were hella stable at low speeds and very iffy at high speeds. Then I've had bikes that I couldn't take my hands off at low speeds yet I can release the grips once over 30mph and fly true.
Mine is as smooth as butter whether i am going slow or fast, no vibration etc, the Hyper beach cruiser coupled with a Phantom 85 is a fantastic riding machine...I couldn't have hoped for any better.

Mine is as smooth as butter whether i am going slow or fast, no vibration etc, the Hyper beach cruiser coupled with a Phantom 85 is a fantastic riding machine...I couldn't have hoped for any better.
Must have the happy medium of fork angle, rake and wheel size.
Edit: I drunkenly used the wrong terms lol. I had trail in the maths but the maths equals the trail.

Here's some simple math to learn your trail, which is all of them together:
Trail is a function of head angle, fork offset or rake, and wheel size. Their relationship can be described by this formula:
ForkRakeFormula_zps29384299.jpg

Back