Tandem project

I am now building a bicycle Built for Two motorized
20200602_181310.jpg

I am very excited about this thread! 🤟🤩🤟

I kept looking out for a tandem since getting interested in motorized bikes. The devil is always in the details.
I have now given up hope of ever actually finding a tandem frame that fits my tastes and needs. It would need to be customized for me and would definitely take some time to build.
You know that I like to use certain era bicycle standards that happen to join useful (and some of my favourite) parts together, well: the standards I decided were the best mix of modern-enough to be rugged and rigid, but old enough to contain the best bargains around.
Tandem frames very rarely have all the standards that I am looking for.

This frame you found looks like a great one for doing a build. Being steel it will be possible to make any necessary alterations to it, if you have a welder.
With some modern-enough standards in the details of the frame already, those fairly modern/recent standards in the detail will make life easier!
This is a dream build! 🤟💖🤩🤩🤩💖🤟

Usually tandem frames I find for sale are very old, and/or have older standards of head tube and bottom bracket shell... dropouts... brake mounts...
They are usually old and/or older styled bikes, but they are nearly always intended for a very slow life on smooth paved roads, and are made from narrow diameter steel tubing "so it has some flex, some life, a bit of give, for less vibration and causing less rider tiredness" and with those very old standards on top, there isnt a useable frame to fit my favourite/chosen components to it.
Frequently they have too-small triangles that require some tubes be cut out and then replaced, welded, without distortion of the frame.
It has always been a little beyond my means. Tandem are not so plentiful and cheap as 1-person bikes. 🤨🤔

But you found a good one. 🤩💖
I hope that a good (1" steerer!!) TRUE SUSPENSION fork can be found to fit the head tube. ☝😄

The tandem with rear footrests and rider in prone or semi-prone position "a-la-Gissy" will roll extremely quickly down a steep hill that you just crested at 40-50mph under 2T ICE power! ☝😲😲😲
The frame must be straight as an arrow, and very laterally rigid, too! IMHO!

We have tandem bikes up in our area...

And new 1's as well...

$360 Cnd funds/ $200 ish Usd if I recall

Prices have jumped up a bit now that bike season is a go...
New frames can be even tougher to find a room for an engine! Too low slung, too many braces dividing up your triangles.
The components compatibility difference in head tube, rear dropout, and also BB standards is enough to want something modern . . . but then you run into the frame materials problem.
You want high tensile steel that you can cut the tubes out of and get welded back up, but modern frames are aluminium alloys.
That is the crux of the tandem frame problem for most of us home mechanics, I believe.

Back