Tension Roller Tweaks

I was "searching" around because my chain fell off today and almost broke my engine apart as the chain bunched up around the front sprocket.
Anyways, I just wanted to bring this thread forward again for the newer members like myself. There is some amazing stuff here! you can start at page two.

Last edited:
Semi Off Topic, but I needed a smaller idler for the front of the power run on the pedal side on my trike (my chain-line is almost as convoluted as my sentences). Your tensioner idea came to mind, so I now have a derailleur cog as an idler. Thanks LFL.

Any thoughts on this- I am building a bike that will be pedaled for starting from a dead stop only (other bikes for exercise). I would like to run the engine chain without a tensioner and put it on the pedal side. I use a Shimano coaster and a caliper brake on the rear- If my thinking is right, if I use the tension wheel on the pedal side- since I am more concerned with braking rather than pedalling, I would want the tension wheel on top rather than on the bottom because the tension will be on the bottom of the chain while braking, right?

Ghost Sprocket

Just replaced that piece of tish tensioner with a ghost sprocket and it works awesome! Perfect! Easy! Best solution for chain tensioning ever.:D

I've seen a lot of examples on the pedal side tensioner and I need to chime in about this.
How many of us have had failed tensioners? How many have slipped down,hit spokes,bla bla bla?
Now let's say your tensioner is on your pedal side. Most would do this to a coaster brake wheel because the geared wheel has a terrific tensioner on the derailer.
So your riding along,apply the coaster brake,suddenly your tensioner loosens up and your chain falls off.
Oh noes.
I dunno,man. For safety's sake,this may not be a good idea,even if you have front brakes....worst if you don't.

Well, I have 2 brakes in the back, caliper and coaster, but it turns out I can't do this anyway. Turns out I need the tensioner on the motor side, not so much for the tension, but to guide the chain and keep it away from the frame.

The ghost sprocket looks cool on the right bike, but not on mine.

Tensioner close to drive or rear sprocket??

Hope i'm in the right spot to post this(my first). Was mounting a idler wheel close to the drive sprocket... when my neighbor(a jet machanic) came into the man cave and said... you want the idler wheel close to the reae sprocket not the drive sprocket. Would like your commets please.

Back