Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws

Texas Motorized Bicycle Laws -- Tickets

I would like to see all types legal. But I think the police are more likley to go after something that will look to them like a motorcycle , a frame mount engine was after all the prototype. But good luck!

If you look at the def. of a MoPed it does not have to be human powered---it's a motor driven cycle(or small motorcycle),where as the assisted bicycle fits the human power requirment of assisted scooter.The question is ; is a seat a deck?
What we really need to do is have our elected reps.define the law.We all need to band together on this.

If you look at the def. of a MoPed it does not have to be human powered---it's a motor driven cycle(or small motorcycle),where as the assisted bicycle fits the human power requirment of assisted scooter.The question is ; is a seat a deck?
What we really need to do is have our elected reps.define the law.We all need to band together on this.

I have already contacted my Rep., Chet Edwards regarding the issue. I suggest everyone in Texas do the same. Get involved!

Pull start??

I have two GEBE's. Pull to start the ENGINE but not to start moving the BIKE. I still have to pedel off from a dead start up to about 7 or 8 mph before I engage the clutch (IE Gun the engine or stuff will start breaking. So a rack mount with a small engine should still qualify under that "must pedal first" thingy......

got a letter back from one of the goverment reps I email--stated that staff would look into it.Maybe a start?/---sam

Yeah, I got two of those letters, too. One from Chet Edwards and one from Steve Ogden.

Also, I tried to schedule an "open hearing" with Judge Boyett's court and was denied. The said I cannot speak to the judge regarding the issue without a citation or other pending legal matter. Since my citations were reduced to warnings after my first couple calls to the court house and police station, I cannot see the judge and get an appealable ruling on the Transportation Code regarding motorized bicycles.

Long story short, I need to intentionally get another citation from TAMU PD to get any farther with this issue. With a real trial set, I can hire a lawyer, and get this show on the road!

If anyone wants to contribute, finding any existing case-law in Texas would be great. I work at A&M and try to spend some time in the Law Library doing research, but finding relevant case law can be a long process. If any other judge in Texas has made a ruling regarding motorized bicycles, it would be VERY important to our cause -- one way or another.

Long story short, I need to intentionally get another citation from TAMU PD to get any farther with this issue. With a real trial set, I can hire a lawyer, and get this show on the road!

well - we hope that you receive the results you are looking for

if and when -- this court project is up and running
I would be able to make a small donation towards said cause

ride that thing Mountainman

You might reconsider intentionally getting cited until after you have retained an attorney and have a prepared defense ready. Perhaps you can solicit (heh) recommendations and/or referrals for one that already pedals to his office. Also seek help from organizations in the MB field.

I don't side with all the legal help that the ACLU provides but you might want to consider contacting them. They love test cases.

When I lived in Portland in the sixties a friend going to Brown Law School helped me petition for divorce. Cost me very little. Seek out help from pre-law or law students. They are friends indeed.

I don't think the AMA or other motorcycling groups would want to help. They would prefer we were registered and licensed anyway. I think the "Green" guys will turn us down, too. They are against any use of fossil fuels.

We have congressmen here, too. One of mine happens to be a guy named Ted Poe. He knows a thing or two about law and interpreting it. We both drove Jeeps back when we were in Houston. I wonder if . . .

Somehow this went from a "you should" to a "we oughta" before I realized it. :)

Good luck
Ted

You guy's got the right idea!

We need to get together and pressure the rule makers for sensible change. Somebody should start a thread where as we can collectively construct a default letter. When one of our brother's get's in trouble, we can copy cut and paste in an e-mail message.

The letter needs to be vague enough to be applicable in all 50 States but yet be supportive of our hobby.

When these politicians start getting thier inbox cranked on by members accross the States, in support of our brother (who was probably unjustly targeted for V+T enforcement), maybe attitudes will change toward our hobby.

There is strength in numbers and you guy's in Texas make me proud to be a member of this board! If I was more well versed on Texas V+T law, I would be making calls for you. Right now I don't want to make things worse!!! I wish ya the best of luck.

Put together a vague letter, nicely request review of our brothers situation, along with the e-mail address's of the rule makers. Start a new thread and ask our brother's to support our unfairly targeted brother and I bet e-mails would fly! Time to stuff thier greedy, dirty little in-box's, That's all! For maximum effect get other boards involved.

I'm not looking to start trouble, but rather stick together and let our collective and sensible voices be heard. If our guy's are out there getting tickets. We ain't doin our jobs as brothers!

If they get a ton of nicely worded e-mails (before the court date), I doubt the politicians will want to risk embarassment inorder to nail one of our guy's to a cross.

Back