the MB-Legal Future? Predictions and Wild Guesses.

What the heck ever happened to treating ppl like adults?
OR
A person is responsible (lible) for their actions, whatever they may be? If you do something dumb, you pay for it. You get drunk and drive and cause an accident, its YOUR fault, and NOT the bars/restaurants. It was YOU drinking and not the bar owner. KNOW YOU LIMITS AND KNOW YOUR ABILITIES, its YOUR responsibily, not someone elses. If you want me to be responsible for you, they fine, but you must do exactly as I say, any deviation absolves me of responsibility. Does that sound fair? I dont think so, so why let others dictate your existance.

Regardless of how you travel or what you travel with (car, truck, motorcycle, MB, bicycle, wheel chair, grocery cart, baby stroller, skateboard, wheeled luggage, etc...) most laws (Im in Canada but I believe its simmilar in the U.S.) have in most motor vehicle acts/statutes things that include in the use of a vehicle
1. due care
2. negligence
3. safe operation of
4. and sililar

So, if your driving a car and yapping on the cell, playing with the radio, shaving, applying make up, pickin yer nose, etc... and you cause an accident, it can be considered as neglegence causing harm/damage, unsafe operation of a vehicle, not applying due care, etc... Dont make it illegal to talk on a cell, smoke, drive one handed, etc.. Punish ONLY those who deserve punishment. Get the idiots off the roads and most problems will be solved.

Same goes if your riding your MB and you strike a pedestrian who had the right of way, or going faster than the conditions met, or operating a vehicle beyond your means, etc... its negligence, unsafe operation, etc...

Same goes if your on the sidewalk pushing a full heavy grocery cart and you hit an old lady knocking her to the ground and she breaks her hip and drops her expensive antique porecean collection of fuggly figurines, it can be considered as neglegence causing harm/damage, not applying due care, etc...

Stick to simple things and the law is simpler, more effective, everyone understand it, etc....

I've been motorly active for near 20 yrs, I have the ability to shift gears, eat a pizza, drink a coffee and smoke a cigarette all at the same time while maintaining safe operation of my vehicle in reverse at freeway speeds. I know some will say thats not safe, but Im just giving an example so relax ( but there are ppl with similar abilities). Meanwhile there are ppl out there who are afraid to pass a transport truck, can barely see over the dashboard, and cant chew gum and walk at the same time without knocking someone down.

make a simple law that punishes only those who actually commit an offence of damage or cause injury, rather than enfore laws or create laws because someone somewhere MIGHT do something bad, regardless what you operate.

If I can safely drive while juggling fireing bowling pins and balance a dozzen plates on my nose then so be it. If I drive the speed limit and am doing everything by the "book" and dont apply the brakes when someone stops infront of me and I rear end them because I panicked, then I should be charged. Not only charged but lose my lisence till I can prove I can safely operate a vehicle again.

I really dislike laws that punish intelligent, thoughtfull, considerate, good ppl just because theres a few morons out there that dont have basic common sense.

Dont make a law against a certain type vehicle, enfore laws on the person and their ACTIONS.

Dont outlaw a MB because someone somewhere MIGHT have an accident, because by that logic, every vehicle everywhere should be outlawed because someone might get hurt one day. We should all just stay at home and have machines feed us and whipe our butts.
------------------------------------------------------

I can pedle along at 50Km/hr (30Mph) routinely and reach maximum speeds of 60Kms (38Mph) for 40 seconds at a time before lactic acid burns up my legs causing me to stop peddling that hard and I get winded.

Why then should a motorized bicycle be limited to 32Km's (20Mph) ??? I routinely pass scooters and mopeds.

If I can safely stop a moving vehicle given any circumstance, then what diff does it matter what that vehicle is (car, bike,rollerskates)?? If Im smart enough to guage a proper speed for the road Im on and for my vehicle and for my abilities, then I should be allowed to travel at that speed with no maximum speed imposed upon me. If the moronic operator cant determine a safe speed for their particular circumstances, then in my opinion, they should not have the right or privilage to be on the road. They are a danger to me, and themselves.

Limiting a MB to a certain max top speed is like saying that because really heavy transport trucks require far more stopping distance and can easily cause carnage, that they should only be allowed to travel at a maximum highway speed of 75Kms (45Mph) and 50Kms (30Mph) off highways. That makes it safer for everyone, right? Wrong, because now these slower moving vehicles are causing safety issues of their own as faster moving vehicles appraoch them, and they become moving road hazzards.

Same applies to limited speed vehicles. Therefore my rationality says to have no imposed max speed restriction on the road, however, the vehicle (regardless of what it is) should be capable of safely maintaining that speed and should be able to safely and controllably stop within pre determined specifications based on different speeds, so that it is the same or similar to cars + motorcycles (based on stopping distances relative to speed). If it cannot safely reach certain max speeds, then it should not travel at those speeds, and/or, if it cannot stop safely at any given speed, it should not travel at that speed. Keep up with traffic on that road as best possible, or stay to slower posted roads. Then again you shouldnt be foreced to travel at speeds your not comfortable with and it discriminates against you if and when you want to travel a particular road. what to do, what to do.

I say leave it up to the operator, just dont impose max speeds on any type vehicle, if its safe, its safe. PERIOD.

------------------------------------------------------

And this BS about minimum age requirements for vehicle operations, I've seen videos of 5yr old on mini motobikes doing stunts. They are extremely skilled and tallented. So are 5 yr old trapese/circus performers. Point is, train a person properly and there shouldnt be any real issues, otherwise its age discrimination. If they screw up, let the courts suspend their privilage till a time when they can prove they are ready. Dont punish a young person and discriminate against them based on their age, I've meet and seen children far far more intelligent and mature than most adults I come across.

Then again, maybe a new law should be made that lets certain proven able bodied ppl to be exempt from certain laws like the no cell phone laws, age restriction laws, and punish them twice as bad if and when they screw up.

The Gov's will give anyone and everyone a license, the road tests are a joke. But theres big money to be made when everyones on the road (mechanics, hospitals, lawyers, police, body shops, insurance co's, etc..).

Perhaps ppl should start sueing their local government or DMV because it is THEY who granted a license to the person who caused the accident, because your not at fault or lible dont you know, blame can allways be passed onto someone other than the true person(s) at fault. Maybe then they'll start getting stricter on who they let on the roads.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more and that was very well written. I wish it were possible to sue DMV! I won a NYS Supreme Court case without a lawyer, granting unemployment benefits 6mos ago. Still havn't seen a nickle of the money yet (two and one half years after the first bogus denial).

We live in a police state my friend and not enough people are fighting back. Everybody is more worried about outdoing thier neighbor.

Something has got to happen and there is a right way to do it. Imagine the Country these poor kids are going to grow up in after we are gone!

By detail of your driving skills, you'd make a great cop. Doughnut, coffee, radio, computer and tailgate all at once! hahaha!

I could'nt agree more, this sucks!

OH forgot to mention

Cops are Supper hero's that don't make mistakes and are alway right (even off duty). They can do all that stuff legally!

ha ha ha, ready for more? I appologise for making your eyes bleed, but.......

I made a boo boo in my post 2 spots up and I'd like to correct them and add things to that post here.

I said
Therefore my rationality says to have no imposed max speed restriction on the road, however, the vehicle..........

I should have typed that as "Therefore my rationality says to have no imposed max speed restriction or power restriction, or engine size restriction on any vehicle (but still keep max posted speed limits OR RECOMENDED SPEED LIMITS on roadways), however, the vehicle ..............

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDITIONS:

1. many ppl can peddle a bicycle faster than a motored-bike is "allowed" to lawfully travel. I've heard bicycle proponents say that even the max MB speed is too high at 32Kms (20Mph), but that logic is moot, and heres why [A] given that both a MB and a cyclist are travelling at the same speed and have the same stopping power and have the same gross vehicle and rider weight, a collision would create near identicle damage, meaning whats the diff if a 230lb cyclist is on a 20lb bicycle or if a 205lb rider is on a 45lb motored-bike, answer is none since both weights are the same at 250lbs. What would a bicyclists argument be if they were told that they too should only be limited to a maximum top speed of 20Mph (32Kms) given the "supposed" danger of a MB? A true moped that weighs more can cause more damage at the same speed given all other variables equal to the above (rider weight, stopping power, etc..) therefore it could be legislated that a true moped have a breaking capacity equal or similar to a MB/car/motorcycle.

2. if a bar can be held lible because you became too drunk and drove/crashed, then by that same token, the DMV or Gov/ State/ County/city can/should be held lible for issuing a license, not having enough cops sitting outside bars looking for drunks getting into cars, not having enough road side DUI check points, not mandating breathalized devices in/on ALL vehicles. Bars are not in charge of the roads or of vehicles, that responsibility lies upon the region/authorities, just as the region/city is liable if you crash because they did not properly maintain a roadway and a giant pot hole formed and was never repaired and you hit it and crashed causing injury/death/property damage, they are lible and negligent by keeping that road that is under their responsibility is dissrepair. So dont they have the same responsibility to anything that happens on that road including drunks, poorly skilled drivers/riders?

OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD RECOMONDATIONS: (aka things the way I've kinda allways thought they should be)

1. Have every person who wishes to operate any vehicle on a road go through a PROPER, STRICT learning phase regarding their choice of mobility as well as what other ppl operate on the roads, meaning they learn everything possible about (not just bare minimum) about

[A] roads (ashphalt, hills, grades, gravel, snow, ice, wet roads, fog, etc..),
rules of the roads,
[C] their particular specific vehicle (its abilities, its limitations, its design, its structure, its function, its basic mechanics, what can go wrong and what to do when mechanical failure occurs, the ability to realize that something may be ammiss with their vehicle, how to handle a wheel falling off, how to maintain their vehicle in proper working condition, how to inspect a vehicle, etc...),
[D] all other vehicles commonly found on roads (their handling abilities and limitations such as cars, big rigs, tractors, motorcycles),
[E] driver ability training (skid controll, emergency manouvers, what to look out for on the roads, far more than basic training, defensive driving, etc..),
[F] their own abilities and limitations (personal reaction times, how NOT to panic but to instead make quick and safe decisions when required, and what to propery do if those situations arise, the physical strengh required to controll a vehicle, how far thay can lean a motorcycle to the side, etc..
[G]what to do if and when an accident already occured (either one thay had or one they came across), who to call, when to move a person, when not to, how to operate a fire extinguisher, etc...,

Have them know all this and more. Its very serious out there and education is key, training is equally important. Have them learn all this and know it inside and out, they must pass all those areas otherwise no license for that type vehicle. Perhaps a retesting every few yrs. Harsh and strict I know.

2. Any vehicle that a person wishes to use on public roadways, regardless of what it is, go through a safety and testing examination. Determine what the max speed is safe for that specific vehicle, what its acceleration qualities are, what its breaking capacities are, what its load handling capacities are. Is the contraption/vehicle safely designed and constructed (welds, materials used, etc..). All this regardless of the engine type/size/power rating, because small 50cc engines exist that can develop 15+ HP and 200 cc engines exist that in stock form only develop 14HP.

The specific vehicle in question is then (after passing safety certification) given license plates and that license plate has a DMV issued dual coloured sticker based on the capabilities of that particular vehicle, and where and when its allowed to go.
Examples:as per examination of its design/braking/handling/power/tire type and size abilities + so on are:
BROWN for any vehicle that is not allowed to travel faster than 15Kms (10Mph)
YELLOW for any vehicle that is not allowed to travel faster than 32Kms (20Mph)
ORANGE for any vehicle that is not allowed to travel faster than 50Kms (30Mph)
RED for any vehicle that is not allowed to travel faster than 65Kms (40Mph)
GREEN for any vehicle that is not allowed to travel faster than 80Kms (50Mph)
BLUE for any vehicle that is not allowed to travel faster than 100Kms (63Kms)
ULTRA VIOLET for any vehicle that can go faster than the speed of light <---jokes

If you get an orange sticker and want the vehicle to be lawfully allowed to travel faster, then you make the necessary recomended modifications to it to bring it up to code (so te speak)

GREY means allowed on all public roads but not expressways but not sidewalk, bike paths, parks (and similar)
PURPLE means allowed on all roads including expressways but not sidewalk, bike paths, parks (and similar)
PSYCHADELIC means ..........................

If you have a red sticker good to 65Kms (40Mph) and your travelling on a 80Km (50Mph) road and your actually travelling above 65Kms (40Mph), then a police officer can write you a citation, charge you, etc...

Different colour lettered license plates:
BLUE alphanumeric means allowed passengers
RED alphanumeric means diplomatic vehicle
GREEN alphanumeric means no passengeres allowed
etc..

Get the point?

Operator license depends on class type of vehicle (similar to what exists now)

This way anyone can build/sell/buy any kind of vehicle imaginable (custom one off or a factory vehicle) and get it certified, registerd, and plated, there are far fewer GREY AREA ISSUES, the Gov makes revenue off of this, drivers/riders are happy, everyone is well trained, everyone is safer, etc... win, win, win all around. A whole new industry could be created and can flourish creating jobs, exports, etc....

I'll leave my personal opinions about environmental issues out (pollutions, engine types, power sources, etc...)

Government ppl, politicians, city mayors, congressmes, senators, ministers, etc... are voted in by the ppl (not in all curcumstances), therefore making them civil servants/emplyee's of the people. They are there to serve the public and the ppl, not their own self interests. If the ppl want speed limits raised, they should look into it and try to impliment it if it can be done safely. Ppl speed all the time goin 10-20 over the posted limit day in day out, let me correctly rephrase that, ppl VOTE every time they go above posted limits by stepping further down on the gas. Since they are voting (in a democratic society such as it is) the civil servants should take notice to thier employers (the public) requests and do something to make thie emplyers happy (safely and lgically of course). You want lower taxes,lower registration fees, cheaper cleaner gas, you tell your employees (politicians) and they, with all that $$$$ we give them, should appoint expert analysts/economists/profesionals, etc... to find a way to do those things in such a way that works well (enviornmentally, economically, without draining the treasurey, ec...) Every prolem has a solution, and anything is possible. We can fly, go to the moon, comunicate instantly globally, small patatoes. Make it happen, if not, what good are you, your fired/laid off, and hire someone(s) who can actually get the job done. When an potential candidate makes campaing promises, they should be kept if they make office, otherwise fire them because they LIED on their application and thats grounds for termination. A promise is a guarantee. The police are there to watch OVER the people, not WATCH the people, like it used to be, they ultimatly work for the public and shouldnt be working against the public. Demand referrendums (or whatever its called in your area) to change laws, and vote in those who will actually work FOR the people. In North America, the public is afraid of the people they hired (voted in), in many places outside the area, the Government is afraid of the people. A politician (employee) should get an office for which they have knowledge of and experience in, dont make someone minister of agriculture if they know bugger all about farming, dont make a minister of transportationsomeone who has only ever rode in limos, etc... Hire the candidate appropriate to the position, replace as necessary.

STOP THINKING OF THESE PEOPLE (THAT'S ALL THEY ARE IS PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND PEOPLE YOU KNOW) AS LEADERS/AUTHORITY FIGUES AND START THINKING OF THEM AS AN EMPLOYEE YOU HIRED IN YOUR COMPANY. Change the language you use to what things really are and that imaginary power that controlls you dissapears, like Freddy Kruger.

An American once said "any man who does not fight/defend his freedoms and rights deserves neither freedom nor rights" <-- one of the dudes who helped write American Constitution. Absoloutly wonderfull paperwork, esp for its time.

We should strive to live in HARMONY with each other and find a balance we can live with. Respect each other, we are all human beings deserving of respect. Why am I telling you ppl this, you already know this and live like this, congrats to you from me, yer awesome, I salute you.

TO: machiasmort
Im sure a lawyer exists somewhere who would take on the DMV, find one.
Competition with each other is backwards thinking, we can accomplish sooo much more when we work together. Ex: Scientists competed with each other for many decades trying to unravel human DNA/genomes. Once they decided to work together, they mapped out over 80% in just a couple years.

Firstly, I'd like to say... Torbet, could you kindly pass the pipe this way? I'd love to smoke some of that shiz.

Secondly, I think that you think too much. I love how you go from saying all max speed limit signs should turn into recommended speed limit signs, and then you talk about how we should pick up this color coded system that allows you to go a certain speed. Frankly, I like your first idea better. I have honestly never traveled less than 90mph on the interstate, except when accelerating. Accidents tend to happen when you take your eyes off the road, and I don't ever blink when traveling at 90~100mph. Take the Autobahn for example... least amount of accidents, no speed limits. In the States, I spend quite a bit of time looking at the sides of the roads for those guys in blue, and that ain't good!!

I do strongly agree with you on the hardcore defensive driving class thing, every bit of it. I took drivers ed, and I only learned two things from that week long class (none of it from the videos made in the 80s). (1) When changing lanes on the interstate, don't let off the gas. (2) When a semi passes you, your car shakes because of the flex in the sidewalls. That was it. I know that the roads would be a lot safer if the gov't forced you to learn how to keep control of your car when something bad happens... and much, much more, like how every part of the car works and is assembled.

If I ruled the world, there'd only be three rules of the road after this extensive drivers course:

(1) All semi-trucks must stay in the rightmost lane.
(2) All tires must have stiff sidewalls, unless you have a truck or something, where flex is needed.
(3) Don't Eff up! If you do, no license for 6 months.

I don't think it has anything to do with safety. Well, on the surface it does, but that covers the real hidden agenda.

MBs will only have a legal future as politicians decide it will benefit them personally to permit the laws to exist, that is, if their political opponents don't block the laws first.

MBs might exist on a large scale legally, but only if corporations would make more profit than not. Considering the trend in oil prices... things are looking pretty grim.

I see Torbet's point about changing the mentality we have towards those we elect to rule us. This is a fabulous way to look at things. Unfortunately, this country is based on the fantasy that the government is the voice of the people. Going through the motions of voting and keeping the kingmakers’ dealings secret are central to our culture. As Stalin liked to put it, "It's not the people who vote that count; it's the people who count the votes."

Sorry about the rant. Good crack, BTW.

Last edited:
Well done Augi, in starting another great debate.
I'm depressed at the state of the MB laws in this country Australia.

I called my bike Ned Kelly for that Reason (look him up if you need to).

So looks like our my future in MB's is sealed off by moronic government officialdom,
before it even started.

There's been recent law changes that made the existing laws even worse...

:censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
How much money can we get from them?

That is the way the elected officials think. As long as there are not enough Motor assisted Bicycles out there to regester and pay for the extra paper work involved for making up a law, fines ect. they wont bother them.It was that way when 4 wheelers first came out. As they became more popular so to did the many and larger fees required to operate or even own one.Right now I only know of 4 other people in my city that have one, mine being the only HT one.
I guess if they become less of a novalty something may happen. My car dosent require emission testing now because I put less then 5000 mi a year on it. I dont see Emissions as anything of importance for a 125MPG bike that may get 1000 mi a year on it. I live in Pa incase anyone was wondering.
Chuck

Sadly, I'm getting the sense this is not going to end well and believe me I'm not happy after just dropping a grand on MB stuff.

The bottom line will be DOT compliance, and then might just as well get a motorcycle.

Back