the MB-Legal Future? Predictions and Wild Guesses.

Cops are Supper hero's that don't make mistakes and are alway right (even off duty). They can do all that stuff legally!

I agree - while living next to my grandfather many years ago - he rented the apts next door to me to two cops - one was a normal guy - other - even when off duty got into everyones business - and retired early with a fake neck injury - LET ME HOLD UP THE LAW IN REGARDS TO EVERYONE ELSE - WHILE I STEAL !!! Ride That Thing - Mountainman

of the women in blue.

I agree - while living next to my grandfather many years ago - he rented the apts next door to me to two cops - one was a normal guy - other - even when off duty got into everyones business - and retired early with a fake neck injury - LET ME HOLD UP THE LAW IN REGARDS TO EVERYONE ELSE - WHILE I STEAL !!! Ride That Thing - Mountainman

My 2c on police anywhere is they are human, and as such, are one of us.
IE they can be good, bad, ugly and even awesomely beautiful. You think not eh ?
Well, here's a story from today's ride. (Tuesday AM)

I'm riding by a 6 lane freeway, that merges into
the city, and coming across the 6 lane intersection, is 10 police horses,
at a slow motion amble, when the lights changed.

Sitting atop of these 10 awesome looking horses,
are 10 female cop babes in uniform.

I just had to stop and gawk open mouthed,
toungue hanging out (I'd been riding hard ok)
as these hot looking women, rode up and down
in the saddle, slowly and rhythmiclly past my vantage point,
dressed in sharp copper blue.
They wore the same crisp, tawt, buxom, uniform,
that shone in brilliant sunshine.

They changed lane, and I rode on to the city,
a changed man, in my opinion,
of the women in blue.

I think Mb's will be all the rage as gas prices go up, until Wongmart sells ebikes that actually work. Then the extreme political environmentalists will get the gas bikes banned.

I think people will still ride them though.

Perhaps it's time to revisit this thread. For example, from what I read the legal issues haven't lessened in NY and riders in Illinois have been concerned about legal challenges there.

Also, when this thread started, much of the concern was with EPA regs and importation. Reading through the abstracts of most states with defined moped/motored bicycle regulations I think they generally fall into the under 2 hp/under 50cc categories. There might be exceptions though I'm not aware of them.

Now, as many seek an alternative to the Chinese made 2 strokes, I'm seeing the mention and use of larger and larger engines.....79cc, 99cc 4 stroke engines........5 hp, 9 hp, 12 hp Morini engines......occasionally something larger. I think I recall mention of 200cc somewhere recently!

Sounds like a bit of 'mission creep', larger engines, the ability to change gears, etc. moving away from small powered and simple motorized bicycles to become more like motorcycles all the time. Some of these bikes may be designed and destined for use on closed tracks or private land. Some not so much.

Just rambling thoughts wondering how this plays out legally if or when MBs move from a stealth mode to a more visible profile.

Last edited:
People had better be concerned with what goes on in NYS! Just because your area is MB friendly doesn't mean it will be in our future. NYS and it's corrupt politicians are stripping our rights away from all of us.

You people in other areas arre just like the ones in NY. It doesn't effect me, so I don't care is the attitude. Go back to sleep and wake up one day to less freedom is the reality.

I've already had my warning abt politics on the board, so I gotta tread lightly.

The option is to dispute every citation received in the legal system.

Personally, I do not feel the existing laws suite the needs of the PEOPLE.
Unfortunately, I also feel this shall become more than obvious in the near future.

NOW, is the time to act, and take exception to bad law being enforced against our right to travel.

You SHALL be convicted of a violation in every lower muni court.
THAT is what they do.

Appeal the decision to the next higher court.

Learn the difference between the law, and statutes and ordinances.

We DO have a right to travel on personal and private business.
All restrictions and levees are upon commercial use of the public's roadways.

Good luck.
I'll guarantee THEY will squash you like a bug in ALL the lower courts.
They are in it for the money.
They will probably NOT shoot you, or eat you.

After some period of time, the higher courts will become tired of reviewing all the appeals and instruct the baby muni courts to cease and desist prosecutions for the frivolous matters.

Sooner or later, someone will get his brief right, and the state's attorney general will be forced to issue an opinion on the matter and people will once again be free to travel without restriction by bureaucrat created edict.

This does NOT apply to those who haul persons or property for hire.
Only those who use a vehicle as a personal conveyance.

Best
rc

There will be laws governing motor vehicle use but the point is they be reasonable and fall within acceptable guidelines. Where I live, and I definitely don't get to say this about everything here, the existing laws governing MBs are reasonable to me. All of my MBs fall well within the regs set forth and that's my choice anyway. As a matter of fact, the regs eased up on MBs in July 2009 with the institution of a third two wheeler vehicle class by adding a separate scooter class. Now we have Mopeds/MBs, scooters and motorcycles.

Moped/MB law synopsis:

According to Massachusetts law, a moped is a "motorized bicycle." In order to be classified as a moped, the vehicle must:

* Have a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.
* Have an automatic transmission.
* Be capable of a maximum speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.
Not operated:
* By any person under 16 years of age.
* By any person who does not have a valid license or permit.
* At a speed greater than 25 miles per hour.
* Without wearing a DOT standard helmet.

I'm okay with that and frankly don't see anything wrong with it.

Last edited:
Don't see

I guess you are right...

Attachments

• osha_cowboy_OSHA-s838x631-63655.jpg
    osha_cowboy_OSHA-s838x631-63655.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
If anyone has a constructive argument with a cogent point to add I'm interested. This is a discussion
IMO the Mbing community needs to engage up front or ignore at our eventual loss. As slim as the chances are for the movement to self-regulate, a mission statement of sorts for street use of MBs might not be a bad thing. That could be combined with promoting organized race events on closed tracks or private land for the unlimited class of bikes.

Last edited:
I have already been warned not to discuss politics on this board.
Any law related to this subject is political.
Accept them, you get the cowboy.
More, I cannot say.
Best
rc

Back