The Motored Biker Revolution!!

Soo... we're on step one right now of the MB Revolution -- compiling a list of every state's MB laws. We're not even half way done, so help us out. Please add or correct the list where possible! Post either in this thread or this other thread.

Here's what we've got so far...

AL - no, but cops shouldn't mess with you so long as you can pedal & have a light at night.
AK -
AZ - yes, if under 48cc & 20mph.
AR -
CA - yes, if under 2hp. must also pay for one-time registration.
CO - yes, but kill engine on trails or at least be extra respectful of other pedestrians.
CT -
DE -
FL - yes, if
GA -
HI - unsure
ID -
IL - no
IN - yes, if under 50cc, 2hp, & 25mph.
IA -
KS -
KY -
LA - yes, if under 50cc (tho trikes are NOT included in definition of a bicycle).
ME -
MD -
MA - yes, if under 50cc & 25mph. must also have DL & pay $40 biennial registration.
MI -
MN -
MS - no, but cops shouldn't mess with you so long as you can pedal & have a light at night.
MO -
MT -
NE -
NV -
NH - yes, if
NJ -
NM -
NY -
NC -
ND -
OH -
OK - yes, if under 150cc & 30mph
OR - yes, if
PA - yes, if under 50cc, 25mph, & 1.5 bhp. must also have DL & pay $9 annual registration.
RI -
SC - yes, if under 25mph.
SD -
TN -
TX -
UT -
VT -
VA - yes, if under 50cc & 30mph.
WA - yes, if under 50cc & 30mph. must also have DL & tag.
WV -
WI -
WY -

AL - no, but cops shouldn't mess with you so long as you can pedal & have a light at night (trikes are NOT included in definition of a bicycle).
(just being consistent, mentioned trikes in another state not being a bicycle)

I really think it is a mistake to try to bring attention to this issue at the federal level. This is a VERY conservative time (radically so). It remains an open question whether civil liberties even exist in this country anymore (some of you may have been following the issues with habeous corpus, and recently the FISA bill). There is a lot to be said for outright hiding during this time and flying under the radar.

That said, I do think being "legal" is not all that bad or as scary as many of you seem to think. Probably most of you have regular driver's licenses. It is much easier to get a motorcycle permit than you think (easier than a regular driver's license or permit), it was easy for me to get my plate (registration), and it was cheap to get insurance (I don't even know if I am required to, but for 100 a year, I figure what the ****). The safety information in the motorcycle handbook in Cali is useful for anyone who is riding a motorbike. Period. It is something you should read and study and you should be able to pass the test (or you shouldn't be on your bike on the roads). Even if you are only going 20 mph. I think it is time well spent. I think it is easier to do this than it would be to change federal law somehow. I mean ... the feds do not care about motorbikes. If you really want to do something, the thing would be to contact the Obama campaign and make it an issue (i.e. motorbikes as alternative to high fuel transportation and streamlining the legality of using such bikes). But be aware that if you do that ... you lose all control the minute you make an issue public. In the end, I think it is best to let it be. You could make things MUCH WORSE by making this an issue. Moreover, if it becomes a bigger issue, the State and the Feds will think that they can make more money off of it, and it will end up costing us even more money. Or more regulation.

All in all, the chances of your making it worse for everyone are far greater than the very slim chance that you will somehow make things easier or better. I know it may seem cynical, but I am just being realistic.

NH- Can be registered as a moped for $4 per year.
"Moped" shall mean a motor-driven cycle whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less which is equipped with a motor that produces 2 brake horse power or less; if an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement shall not exceed 50 cubic centimeters and the power-drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears. Also note that a driver's license is not necessary to operate a moped; one can obtain a license to operate just a moped. No person may drive a moped upon any way in New Hampshire unless he holds a current valid driver's license issued by any state, a special motorcycle license, or a special moped license. A person who holds a special moped license may drive any moped without holding any other class of driver's license.

OR, and I find this one interesting since it doesn't have special requirements like "moped" does.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/html/XXI/259/259-65.htm

TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 259
WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED
Section 259:65
259:65 Motor-driven Cycle. – "Motor-driven cycle'' shall mean any motorcycle or motor scooter with a motor which produces not to exceed 5 horse-power, and any bicycle with motor attached, but not including mopeds.

Source. RSA 259:1, XIV-a. 1967, 415:3. 1976, 4:6. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982.

Which means as long as you're not exceeding 5hp its a bicycle in NH regardless of equipment. I've never had any problems riding my registered and non-registered bikes in this state and I've heard the same from other MBers in the granite state as well.

For further questions, call the State of NH at 603-271-2251
LIVE FREE OR DIE!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think it is a mistake to try to bring attention to this issue at the federal level.
Me too. There's nothing the feds can do to prevent state funded cops from telling us we can't ride motorized bicycles on their state's roads... other than withhold funding, but that isn't very likely for our situation.

That said, I do think being "legal" is not all that bad or as scary as many of you seem to think. Probably most of you have regular driver's licenses. It is much easier to get a motorcycle permit than you think (easier than a regular driver's license or permit), it was easy for me to get my plate (registration), and it was cheap to get insurance (I don't even know if I am required to, but for 100 a year, I figure what the ****).
I'd love to be legal, but I can't. My state defines a motorcycle as a 2-wheeled vehicle with a motor. That means I'd have to comply with my state's motorcycle inspection rules which is too hard. I've contacted 2 insurance companies about insuring a motorized bicycle... and they said they can't do it. The issue isn't being legal or not, it's whether I'm allowed to be legal or not.

I mean ... the feds do not care about motorbikes. If you really want to do something, the thing would be to contact the Obama campaign and make it an issue (i.e. motorbikes as alternative to high fuel transportation and streamlining the legality of using such bikes). But be aware that if you do that ... you lose all control the minute you make an issue public.
Again, the states make the rules for 98% of the cops we'll pass everyday. Contacting the Obama campaign is a novel idea for us, but you're prolly right that it will do more harm than good.

All in all, the chances of your making it worse for everyone are far greater than the very slim chance that you will somehow make things easier or better. I know it may seem cynical, but I am just being realistic.
Realistically, we're trying to push the "slow" states up with the rest of the bunch. As you can already see from our list, less than 20% of states do not accept motorized bikes as something separate from heavily regulated "motor vehicles". There is no state that has specifically defined a motorized bicycle and said that it's "illegal"... but some of them, like mine, simply have outdated laws. It's that simple. If we find out there are a total of 10 out of 50 states that haven't defined a motorized bicycle as something that should be free of the majority of regulations that apply to regular motored vehicles, then it shouldn't be too hard to contact those state legislators, governor, etc.

Continuing on...

AL - no, but cops shouldn't mess with you so long as you can pedal & have a light at night (tho trikes are NOT included in definition of a bicycle).
AK -
AR -
CA - yes, if under 2hp. must also pay for one-time registration.
CO - yes, but kill engine on trails or at least be extra respectful of other pedestrians.
CT -
DE -
FL - yes, if
GA -
HI - unsure
ID -
IL - no
IN - yes, if under 50cc, 2hp, & 25mph.
IA -
KS -
KY -
LA - yes, if under 50cc (tho trikes are NOT included in definition of a bicycle).
ME -
MD -
MA - yes, if under 50cc & 25mph. must also have DL & pay $40 biennial registration.
MI -
MN -
MS - no, but cops shouldn't mess with you so long as you can pedal & have a light at night.
MO -
MT -
NE -
NV -
NH - yes, if less than 50cc, 30mph, & 2 bhp. must also have license & pay $4 annual registration.
NJ -
NM -
NY -
NC -
ND -
OH -
OK - yes, if under 150cc & 30mph
OR - yes, if
PA - yes, if under 50cc, 25mph, & 1.5 bhp. must also have DL & pay $9 annual registration.
RI -
SD -
TN -
TX -
UT -
VT -
WV -
WI -
WY -

NE yes if under 50cc, restricted to 30 mph and helmet.

No person shall operate a moped unless the person has a valid Class O operator’s license, a valid school, or learner’s permit.

Protective helmets that meet the United States Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard #218 are required for all operators and passengers of a motorcycle or moped. The protective helmet must be secured properly on the head of the operator or passenger with a chinstrap while the motorcycle or moped is in motion. The helmet shall consist of lining, padding, and chin strap and shall meet or exceed the U.S. D.O.T. 218 Standard.

Sec.60-637

A moped is defined as a bicycle with fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, an automatic transmission and a motor not exceeding 50 cc that produces no more than two brake horsepower at a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.

Mopeds are exempt from titling and registration. They can be operated on public roads as long as the operator complies with the laws regarding mopeds and the pedals are not removed. The laws regarding the operation of mopeds are Sec.60,6,309 thru Sec.60-6,313 and may be searched and reviewed on the Legislative website at Nebraska State Laws - QuickSearch .

While mopeds are exempt from titling and registering, if at any time the pedals are removed the vehicle becomes an off-road vehicle restricted to operation on private property unless it meets the minimum requirements of a motorcycle . If it meets the minimum motorcycle requirements then must be titled and registered for legal operation on public roads.

we have 4 in town now and no one has been stopped yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE...

AL - no, but cops shouldn't mess with you so long as you can pedal & have a light at night (tho trikes are NOT included in definition of a bicycle).
AK - yes, if under 50cc. must also have license & pay registration fee(s).
AR - yes, if under 50cc & 30mph. must also have DL (unless under 16) & pay registration fee(s).
CA - yes, if under 2 hp. must also pay for one-time registration.
CT -
DE -
FL - yes, if under 50cc, 30mph, & 2 bhp. must also have license & pay registration fee(s).
GA - no.
HI - unsure.
ID -
IL - yes, if under 50cc, 30mph, & 2bhp. must also have license & tag.
IN - yes, if under 50cc, 25mph, & 2 hp.
IA -
KS - yes, if under 130cc, 30mph, & 3.5 bhp. must also have license.
KY -
ME -
MD -
MI -
MN - yes, if under 50cc, 30mph, & 2 hp.
MO -
MT -
NE - yes, if under 50cc, 30mph, & 2 bhp. must also have license & operational pedals.
NV -
NH - yes, if under 50cc, 30mph, & 2 bhp. must also have license & pay $4 annual registration.
NJ -
NM -
NY - no.
NC -
ND -
OH - yes, if under 50cc, 20mph, & 1 bhp.
OK - yes, if under 150cc & 30mph.
OR - yes, if under 35cc & 24mph.
RI -
SD -
TN - yes, if under 50cc. must also have DL.
TX -
UT - yes, if under 50cc, 30mph, & 2 bhp.
VT -
WV -
WI -
WY -

When do we get together and ride? I seen you pedaling if you seen me pedaling! Pick a State with the worst laws. Get 20 of us to rattle some windows. I'm all about peacefull change. We all stick together that's all... Barney Fife won't like it but who's he anyway?
Let's put it together and quit talkin!

Although I live in Buffalo, I suggest Wall Street for the publicity! Protesting oil prices and right past Macey's to say why don't you sell an HT Made in America?

If we book it now, I bet we could find a hotel within a few miles to give us a group discount next summer. Or maybe a public park to camp out in!

This comes after 1 guy got shoved to the ground by a cop out there! He was taking part in a ride (pedaling a 10 spd.) and was knocked to the ground at a good clip. The cop got away with endangering this mans life. To protect and serve, my manure spitter! I'm glad I wasn't taking part. I'm moderately disabled and have perfect respect for the law but, endanger my brother's life infront of me??? Have a little respect before you do that! I'm glad things sort of worked out in the end, I would have dropped my marbles if I was there tho. No reason for it!

The punk with a gun was assigned desk duty pending investigation. They could't cover it up because somebody had a camera (by the way you can't see footage anymore) they took down the site!

I believe he was latter fired (after desk duty), he was still allowed some sort of income, for a while at taxpayer expense.

I'm not anti-law enforcement, everybody makes mistakes or has a bad day. This cops actions were over the edge and the department would have covered it up had there been no camera.

There was no reason for this cop not to have been charged as a criminal. If somebody in the crowd of onlookers would have decked him and no camera was there??? His actions were totally irrespocible, he could have killed this guy for no reason other than ridding his bike.

Sparky, interesting loop hole??? I'd like input on this one. If your homeowners covers personal liability (somebody sues you), is it still uninsurred??? I mean if somebody sues you and your homeowners covers it? How could the State nail you for no insurance if they don't allow you to register it in the first place? Your still covered under policy right???

Last edited:
Back