Thinking about Motorizing my bike!

I've been thinking of saving up 2000$ or more for a moped but I just don't have that kind of money!

I do need a way to get around and with all the main roads being near by biking is a good way to do that.

I've got a few pic of my bike and I was wondering if you all could help me out.

I know I made need to make some mods to fit the motor but I want to know what you guys think!

Images are here ---> http://imgur.com/a/oaJPe

Your options with that bike are very limited. Due to the fact that the shock goes through the bottom of the triangle, an in-frame engine is not a possibility unless you were to somehow convert the bike to a hardtail (remove the rear suspension and most likely have to weld the frame together). So your only options are friction drive or rack-mounted chain drive. Friction drive is when an engine sits above the front or rear tire and spins a roller that in turn spins the tire. A rack-mounted chain drive would involve something similar, but instead of a roller you would have a sprocket on the rear wheel and a chain going from the engine to drive the wheel. The engine would be mounted on a rack, just as it is with friction drive. If you were to do a rack mounted chain drive, you would need a spring-loaded chain tensioner, because with the rear suspension, any time the rear part of the frame moves the chain will go slack and without a spring-loaded tensioner, it will jump off. I might suggest selling this bike and finding a similar one without rear suspension. It will give you a lot more options.

Motor Dimensions?

Could you or someone measure the motor and tell me how big it is so I can try to find a bike that may work?

You need 17" or more in the front triangle to be able to mount any kind of motor in-frame.

I don't think 29" rims will fit on that frame. But yes, its a decent frame made out of aircraft grade aluminum. Worth the money, even counting the fact that you may need to buy other parts to make it work.

My suggestion would be to find a good used mtn. bike with a triangular
frame, hard tail. you can always add a suitable suspension fork. Full
suspension bikes can be motored,but that requires either a lot of
mods, a lot of money, or both.
There are bargains to be found on craigslist, but it might take time to
find what you want at the price you want. In my experience any listing
with 'rare' or 'vintage' is usually asking at least twice what it's worth.
But not always.

That looks like it'll work. Don't know where CCM
gets their bikes since they put their own decals on.
my only worry would be the quality of the frame
which is why I like tried true used bikes, that and
the fact patience will get you a high quality bike
cheap.
I see you're in Langley; would that by Langley
Washington, cuz I right across the sound on the
Oly. Pen.

There are many of us who don't like aluminium frames. Many of us prefer steel frames. They're much stronger and less prone to cracking due to engine viberation. Steel frames are cheaper and much easier to weld on as well.

Back