Thinking of buying a engine kit from craigslist help please?

Hey Gibbles, just for your own piece of mind and for the benefit of others, write down every dollar you pay for anything build related, and your hours to build it.

If you want to be really awesome come back after 100 miles and say what you have had to do in that time and if it's all you hoped it would be.

Great idea KC. Maybe even a thread dedicated to this topic. (If you build it they will come.)
Big Red.

update: have had some troubles getting it started. figured out the kit came with a broken head gasket D: . it would still start down hills but you could feel the air coming from the head. gonna be ordering a new gasket hopefully it will work, i should probably check the crank gasket thing also. :/

update: have had some troubles getting it started. figured out the kit came with a broken head gasket D: . it would still start down hills but you could feel the air coming from the head. gonna be ordering a new gasket hopefully it will work, i should probably check the crank gasket thing also. :/
And so the extra money and work story begins...

Please count your time as most people build an MB because they need reliable transportation in a couple of days not a couple months for twice they thought it would cost I would assume.
I said most not all, plenty of us just like to tinker and don't need an MB to make a living.

Update: just ordered a new headgasket, I am in the process of making a rear derailleur from a old mountian bike into a spring idler thing. Pics soon

Got a new headgasket and it took right off, it was running fine until the small key on the Bevel wheel that connects the bevel wheel to the magneto shaft(?) broke now the bevel wheel is just spinning around the crank and it wont turn over when i engage the clutch. any tips on where to get a new key would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry for not updating, i've been busy lately. It was working great UNTILL the CDI or coil went out. (replaced boot, then the wire came out while riding down the road then i tested the CDI and it was broken) ordered a new CDI,lets see how it goes this time :DD

Well, gibbles, I'm sorry for the troubles this kit seems to be having.

But on the other hand...it seems as though you are pretty good at diagnosing these issues when they come up. And that's worth an awful lot.

You'll be advising us next.

While OP is a walkin n wrenching my Hondas start right up and i'm a ridin...........see ya hate to be ya!

Back