Though there are risks, I'm happy about rising gas prices.

Rising costs will for sure cause downsizing as opposed to supersizing. I remember the gas crisis in the '70's that led to several small cars to be built, and for a little while, a lot of mopeds in the streets. Already, I've seen numerous small cars like the Smart and the Scion.
And I got that urge again to ride a motorcycle. But I'll tell you what, a bicycle with a little gas engine on it is ten times more fun.

Last edited:
Bluegoatwoods, I like your optimism. It's a lot like mine. Like you said, it's better for the roads, the air, and for small-scale commuters on bicycles, mc's, scooters, and motored bikes.
... better for our health, better for our wallets, better for the economy as a whole, better for our own enjoyment of life, better for bringing out relationships with those we were ignoring in years past.

Somebody in the UK said that gas over there costs an equivalent of 14 bucks a gallon.
Ya know... I'm curious how much gas would really cost if MBs put a serious dent in our oil consumption. If everybody switched and rode when possible, our entire oil consumption would be cut in half. Would we still get the bulk discount that we're seeing now?? Perhaps MBs really will lead to us to that $10/gal of gas everybody's talking about by 2012. ?¿?¿?

Last edited by a moderator:
"The solution is the revolution is the resolution". I like that.
And now I'm reminded of the intro "song" to the Moody Blues' "Every Good Boy Deserves Favor". I'll have to listen to that again.

You know what would also be nice? A world of MBs, bicycles, scooters and autos like the model T for getting your family around relatively short distances and doing the grocery shopping, etc. We can't have them now because they'd be unsafe in traffic. But get rid of the over-complicated monstrosities we're all driving now and that would no longer be a problem. 'Course they still burn gasoline. But we don't necessarily have to stop that completely. We only need to use it more maturely. And we'd better hurry up about it.

With bikes, mc's, scooters and MB's, you could chat when you're stopped at an intersection.

Sparky, if MB's were to make a noticeable dent in gas consumption, the supply and demand chain would tilt it in favor of the consumer. Less demand. Good for the consumer.

Sparky, if MB's were to make a noticeable dent in gas consumption, the supply and demand chain would tilt it in favor of the consumer. Less demand. Good for the consumer.
Then why does Europe and the rest of the world pay so much for their barrels of petroleum?

Sparky, I should have worded it like this: If the demand for gasoline decreased by a significant number, shouldn't that lower the price of gas?
(Not always. Remember, the price of nitro is at least 20 bucks a gallon. Just go to a hobby store and see.)

According to two sources in Europe, my friends, their "petrol" is taxed to pay for social programs, among them being health care. That's why it's so much higher, he said. And he asked me why our gas is so high if the money isn't going to social programs :) And then I was asked, why's our gas prices increased even after 5 years of being in oil-rich Iraq? People in Europe, well at least some of them, believe that we're in the middle east because of the oil. Well like what our V.P. said, "it's complicated."

Last edited:
This is as good of a thread as any to chime in on my experience yesterday.
I had a Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4 that just sat around parked on the street. I have to keep insurance on it for this is Colorado law about cars parked on the street and register it once a year. So I put it on Craigslist.
1,000 dollars was my original asking price. It had some damage in the front end when I was at Duane's house and my client left my truck in neutral so I thought I would take a hit.
A month went by and no hits. So I drop it down to 800.
Long story short I sold it yesterday.
Boy got a steal.
How much did I let it go for?
500 dollars.
That's okay for my insurance dropped by a bit over 50 bucks.
So that's money in my pocket.
I still have my pickup truck for when my bike can't do a haul.
If gas was still 99 cents a gallon like it was back in 1999 (yes. Goggle 99 cent gas in 1999) my truck would have been SNATCHED UP at a thousand.
So although I love that we are in a revolution and people are looking,EVERYTHING around us is affected.
300 out of that 500 dollars went for groceries yesterday.
That truck money was supposed to buy me that freewheel rim and get me started on a bike build to sell and do again. I may just need to hurry up and get a 12 gauge rim and forget about that freewheel before I don't have that money anymore. I need something to show for my truck.
I honestly don't like that our truckers that move America can't make ends meet.
I don't like that we are supporting Saudi Arabia.
And I don't like that the choices our leaders make today leaves nothing for our children tomorrow.
Sorry for my rant. :(

a good rant, large'...i feelya, buddy :)

bring demand down, force competition for our business. keep buying gas-guzzlers, it's like handing them a blank check.

i truly believe we're on the cusp of something huge...i'm encouraged that this community's been educating itself and spreading the word...onward & upward :cool:

Last edited:
Back