Thoughts on road bikes?

cloakedvillain

Local time
11:00 AM

I think the frame geometry lends itself well to motorizing but I question the tires. 700c tires are a little bit thicker than 26"

The bike in center is a 700C trek road bike. 49mm bore 2 stroke on it.
20210923_162650.jpg

I have a 1980s centurion with 700c by 32 tires. Tt measures about 27.5 inches from the ground to top of the tire.
Not sure how much wider you can go on the tires. It has a 36 tooth rear sprocket which doesn't give enough low speed take off --for my taste.
Definitely would look at a higher tooth count sprocket on the rear next time--like at least a 40 tooth.

I have a 1980s centurion with 700c by 32 tires. Tt measures about 27.5 inches from the ground to top of the tire.
Not sure how much wider you can go on the tires. It has a 36 tooth rear sprocket which doesn't give enough low speed take off --for my taste.
Definitely would look at a higher tooth count sprocket on the rear next time--like at least a 40 tooth.
Yep I run a 44 tooth on mine.

I recommend swapping the rear sprocket on the pedal side so you can give the low end torque easily.

Maybe the 44t will be easier lol
The one issue I had is the motor chain clearance near the lower chain stay. Mine is close without the chain tensioner. With a bigger rear sprocket on the engine side it could be a bigger problem? The road bike chain stays on mine are more angled and not as parallel like the cruiser I have.

Back