Trek 4500/ GP460/ 8 speed SHIFTER

you'll be fine with the titan and thescooterguy going to bike shifter. you'l only have 1.8 HP and like 1.5 TRQ.

there's NO WAY you'll manage the Morini 9.4 going thru the bike parts. you will want to left drive it using ATLEAST 1/2 X 3/16 KMC K910 if not full #40-41 1/2 X1/4 on a disk brake mount sprocket. what make 29er ?

can't comment on the Pipelyne situation. i know that shop has ALOT of work and there are some long waits. so far i haven't heard of them NEVER coming thru.

the fifty cc titan is less than 2 hp . its a different kind of power than a two stroke the rpms are less but it has more pulling power . the bike chain will handle it just fine , i have made two so far with this motor , I'm pretty sure Walter was riding his this week , the weather was great here , and Ive got two trips to work with the new one , its not really about the chain breaking , its more about keeping the chain where it should be , the final chain should be tight with a rear derailleur that has a big roller on the bottom and adjusted perfectly , so one finger click moves you to the next gear and so on down the bundle and up make sure the derailer wont allow the chain to go up and over the top and down into the spokes , use a chain guard , just in case ,.
with the clamps the drive chain should have a tension spring on it . with a roller that rolls well with pressure on it , Ive been having great luck with a black rubber motorcycle chain roller mounted to a rear derailleur and then bolt it to the bottom mounting bolt . as shown in pictures above . i think this motor will be easyer on the bike than the 49cc two stroke i have been useing for years without problems. remove a few links of chain from the final drive chain so the derailer is at 5 ocklock in the largest chain ring , this will keep your chain from bouncing around . i saw a great example of this in the picture gallery last night , i will see if i can post it , b right back

this is a nice bike , check out the chain roller in the rear and how far forward it is . he isnt even using it to power the bike
http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=440&pictureid=2644

i agree with this, though i have gone alittle further.

get the BEST possible derailable chain you can, i suggest atleast a KMC Z72 or better if you can find one. price will not be the deciding factor, get the actual specs. and tensil strength as referrence.

set your chain length so that your derailleur arm is NO further back than 5:00 on the smallest cassette ring you will be using. you'll have to do some number crunching to arrive at this. all engines have a sweet spot where they run smoothest and strongest you need to know where that is and gear to have that occure at the speed you will travel MOST.

you will want to do some trial and error fitting of your chain length BEFORE you remove any links to be sure that when you have your 5:00 derailleur position in your "cruise" gear the TOP of the derailleur isn't contacting the bottom of the cassette when you have the chain up on your LARGEST sprocket.

when it's right, your derailleur will be at about 4:00 or higher on your LARGE sprocket.

i narrowed down the span of cassette cogs i intend to use. instead of hoping to use all 8, i have worked it out to actually needing just 3 back there. in my case a 30T-26T and 22T but because it makes so little diff. in chain length and adjustment i'm going to include the 34T since it's there.

this will work out fine for me because my 22T front chainring is fairly close to the BB and the 34T-22T cassette cogs are all on the INSIDE of the cassette, making the chainline narrower and more aligned.

hope this helps, i'll have pics and reports soon.

steve

Are you sure the Titan is only 1.8hp? The 29er I'm using with the Morini 9.4 is a Motobecane Phantom 19' frame with dual disc brakes with Andy's disc brake adapter and custom 48 tooth sprocket. I think you're right ,going through the bike driveline is wishful thinking LOL.....

Are you sure the Titan is only 1.8hp? The 29er I'm using with the Morini 9.4 is a Motobecane Phantom 19' frame with dual disc brakes with Andy's disc brake adapter and custom 48 tooth sprocket. I think you're right ,going through the bike driveline is wishful thinking LOL.....

that Phantom is abou tas steep a diamond as my trek4500, have you positioned the 9.4 in the frame to check your pedal clearance ?

start up a thread, your build is going to be real cool and informative to watch and learn from.

oh shoot, i missed .2 on the titan :whistle:

steve

Yes, steve, I have issues with the pedal clearance, I'm gonna have to figure a way around it. I just got a digital camera, as soon as I figure how to use it and download or upload pictures I will open up a new thread on the Phantom/Morini build so I can share it with you all.

could you cut down the crank arms and then space the pedals out ?

with 9.4 you are never going to need to pedal, even if it's geared to do 60mph.

steve

I can cut the arms down, ground the ends smooth and paint. I bought 2 sets of pedal extenders from Amazon.com 1 1/8" long , I could double them up if I had to. I'm not convinced that you wouldn't need to pedal occasionally even with a 9.4 Morini. It's still only 50cc and it seems the horsepower won't kick in untill you hit the power band. Another obstacle is the front tube is too close to the exhaust. I'm thinking of drilling a hole right through the tube, weld an aluminum tube in the hole to maintain the frame strength, and running the exhaust straight through.

BTW, I don't maen to hijack your thread, but I'm still trying to start a new one. I can't find a new thread button, maybe someone can help me out. Thanks,,,

Back