Trek 4500/ GP460/ 8 speed SHIFTER

HEHE, silly rabbit, go to the front page of this frame mount forum and look on the top left corner of the thread list. "new thread". hit it and you're rockin.

i'l let the hole drillin police catch up with you about your frame mods. : ))

i have NO personal experience with the 9.4 but i have 5HP available with the moded 460. i can gear it in the 26:1 range NEVER have to pedal no matter what and still hit 45mph. with the power you have you can probably gear in the upper 30- mid 40's and still hit 60mph. DUI should be able to tell us for sure, PING, come in DUI...................................

since i'm getting out of using the bike side for engine drive i might get me one of those bad boys to play with next.

steve

well, after 3 builds and 6 thousand miles i finally broke a clutch spring.

these were scooter take offs that Kawasaki999 sold me as a trial to get 3,000rpm engagement. they worked perfect. i'd say they were reasonably robust too.

i had a set of HD springs from Staton in reserve so, engine off, spring swap, engine on, 10 mins. tops and back to riding.

i'll take some pics of the new derailleur position and the old springs later today.

steve

new chains and derailleur adjustment

1st pic, chain and derailleur position with chain on 30T cog, this is my new "low" speed position. won't be in this for long or at high rpms.

2nd pic,same thing with chain on 22T cog, this is my new 'high" speed position. will be here mostly, but will also be using the 26T in between for headwinds and unusual grades.

3rd pic, the remaining 2 good scooter clutch springs. these engaged at 3,000rpm, you might find some like them in the junk and spare parts bin at the scooter shop near you. make sure they are yellow, this particlular size and rate of spring seems to be consistant in showing up painted yellow only.

steve

Attachments

• derailleur-position-and-cha.jpg
    derailleur-position-and-cha.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 268
  • dpc2.jpg
    dpc2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 268
  • clutch-springs.jpg
    clutch-springs.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Steve
A bit off topic......it might be just the pic but that rear rim looks like it's showing considerable brake wear. I mention it because I just swapped out a rear wheel that was worn to the point it was starting to show cracks on close inspection on the inside when I pulled the tire.

you might have noted how pig filthy the whole bike gets with constant commuting too LOL

the rim issue is an optical, i'm using some brake pads recomended by a bike mechanic friend of mine, they have horizontal grooves in them and smear the grime into stripes.

they stop like crazy though, and i very rarely even touch the back brake.

thanks for the heads up,

steve

slight hiccup, while riding yesterday i was getting a slight but constant surge.

slowed down, went away, sped up through it( going faster than i wanted to in the area i was in, yeah it happens !!) went away agian.

shifted down one cog, at origanl speed, no surge.

back to origanl speed and gear, surging again. this time I noticed that it was timed to the motion of my primary chain tensioner. i put a stronger spring on it and will try that, from there i guess i'll try locking the tensioner in place and see what happens.

it really seems my engine would prefer not to run at that speed and load and i'll have to work around it.

steve

Last edited:
OK, managed to get my rear fender back on today, real happy with that.

also, tested the gear, speed, tensioner spring relationship. i had a 10# spring on it when driving with a 1/2X1/8 chain and replaced it with an 8# when i put on the lighter 8mm chain. put the 10# back on and the problem vanished, you were right again DUI. i may pick up a 12# just for good measure.

with the final chain and derailleur in much better control along with the primary chain tension the bike is not only nice and smooth but also FAST since it's not hampered by drivability issues in the midrange transistion area.

maybe i'll be done someday soon LOL

steve

Fine,it shows that approximate numerical analysis has it's place even if not all factors can be taken into account because of the unmanageable complexity it would have entailed.

HOLY MOLEY !! this thing is FAST.

three different things have come together lately and i can't tell if it's one or the combination, but this bike is rock solid and BLAZING.

i got the chains and tension sorted, i rode about 40mls in 2nd ( 22.79:1 ) at 35mph ( 11000rpm range) and the weather broke. it was 60*F on my way to work this morning.

i think my carb may have been gummy or something and the high rpm running cleared it out plus the engine likes 60 alot better than 30 plus windchill of 0 and under.

this morning i was using 3rd ( 19.29:1) pulling away from stops and turns real strong and BLASTING up to 40mph (10000rpm). cruising at this speed just flattens all the hills along my route, i can actually punch it at the base of hills and accelerate over them, i was real impressed.

i think i finally learned how to manage this engine, it HAS to rev and breath.

:helmet: :devilish:

steve

Back