Trek 4500/ GP460/ 8 speed SHIFTER

well the streets are clear but to answer your honest question, continental spike claws, the best budget spiked knobbies on the market. our forcast is to be in the 40's with rain by the week end though, i may not need to put them on this year.

i'm going to have front and rear fenders again this time too.

thanks,
steve

i had an idea for snow chains for my tike sarvo showed me link there already out there , or you can drive screws through tire backwards , for studded tires.

just an after thought, if you are considering a shifter kit of any configuration, i HIGHLY recommend you upgrade your rear drive chain.

i had an original equipment sram pc850 chain on this Trek. i wouldn't count on even a brand new chain of this type for this application. when i looked down and saw that thing flapping back and forth i nearly crashed it by hitting the brakes alittle to hard.

i have a KMC K710 1/2 x 1/8 engine to freewheel crank. i now have a KMC Z72 8 rear chain. i started using the KMC chains when i was using the Staton drive, you'd have to buy a $35.00 wipperman to get better chain for multi speed use.

steve

if you go to the 1/8 chain instad of 3/8 chain dont you have to change your shifter mechanism and rear bundle to acomidate the chain width? . there are two types of shifters that move the derailer didderant distances , if they dont match up shifting gets garbled on half gears under power gears will shift back and forth

my bad for not giving a full description. the KMC Z72 is a 1/2 x 3/32 chain and well matched to my shimano HG cluster and DEORE derailer

my ride to work last night was great , that motor is starting to loosen up a bit , Ive got 20 miles on it now , three round trips , to work and back . i like four the gear has a good power band , this bike has great acceleration , and i'm getting used to the pedals , Ive been a foot peg user for 3 years , i'm learning to appreciate the pedals , as for the freewheel crank seems it to be holding up well . i think this bike will be sold on saterday , i'm shopping for another frame.

i'm looking for a cannondale cad 4 aluminum nice light frame , want to use a 33cc motor this time , see what i can make it do with this gear ratio on it . the most weight with the smallest motor . sounds like a good thread doesnt it . i did a beast of the east cad 2 cannondale the bike was all of ten pounds , motor with tank and mount about 9 pounds ,stiff frame no shocks however , didnt get a chance to ride it much , it was sold befor i had it finished.

Detonator tuning solutions,
Thanks for the pictures.

What kind of mileage do you get at such a low RPM 8,600.
Your engine redlines at 11,000 to 16,000.

From ddm Power: 4.2+HP @11,000 RPM , plus the chamber, and thin head gasket. for more of everything.
I do not miss snow .
70 degrees in the day here now.

Last edited:
with the GEBE and 14T ( 19.07 : 1 ) i was running 35mph right at 8600rpm and getting 140-160mpg on my commute depending on how strict i was with the throttle. 13,500rpm @ 54.7mph was my best, but i ran out of road, so i'll never know if there was more.

yep the GP460 is very flexible IF you can harness it. torque peak is at 8,000rpm so 8,600 is the sweet spot. i have a german document that gives the top unloaded rpm as 18,000, i'll bet you won't get it over 15000 in real life even with very low gearing.

my gearing is set to give me 30+mph at 13,500rpm in 1st ( 30.91 : 1 ) and it gets there REAL fast.

as you can see, we haven't been missing much snow here either. 70+ days of snow cover so far, 30+ inches above normal and some state record cold.

REAL nice for an old koot that works outside running a lumber operation all day.

steve

Back