Unbelievable Carbon Fouling!

De-carbonizing:

HEY Q:

Specifically WHAT product/tool will you be using to clean Oscar's combustion chamber? I wanna use the same thing on the block!

I'm applying Gumout and scrubbing with a rag, but progress is slow.

What about Parts Cleaner or Easy-Off Oven Cleaner?

HAL

Hi Hal & Oscar,

I will be using a high speed Dremel with a fine wire brush to remove some of the carbon. The mill will remove it from the front flat part of the head. Some will be removed with small sanding discs attached to a Dremel tool, and some will be removed by hand sanding. Part of the sides of the combustion chamber will be cleaned using sanding drums once again hooked up to a Dremel tool.

Sadly none of these methods will do well on the top of the cylinder.

Have fun,

Hi guys I would use Berrymans B12 carb cleaner on A shop towel and A small brass hand brush ......Dont like scared surfaces..................Bill.......PS one other thing , check you crank end play at flywheel , It may be the cause...

Last edited:
WHAT Carbon Fouling?

Oscar's Neck is waiting for his Head, and both will be nice and clean!

Compare this shot with the one at the beginning of this thread.

At first I used Carb Cleaner with a Brass Toothbrush, but that didn't do much.

Then I used a few applications of good ol' Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) and a shop towel, with this result:

HAL

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Hal, do yourself a favor and go after those bolt holes with a pipe cleaner or two. In the photo it appears as though there is some fouling on the threads, and you don't want to strip them when reinstalling the head bolts.

Yo Kilroy:

Yeah...I know about the gunk in the threads...it accumulated during my applications of carb cleaner and NaHO.

There was never any fouling in the holes...they had bolts in 'em since the day Oscar was born 180 miles ago and were naturally clean when I pulled the head!

But I'll clean 'em out fer sure before boltin' on my new Hi-Comp Head!

HAL

Last edited:
Oscar's Neck is waiting for his Head, and both will be nice and clean!

Compare this shot with the one at the beginning of this thread.

At first I used Carb Cleaner with a Brass Toothbrush, but that didn't do much.

Then I used a few applications of good ol' Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) and a shop towel, with this result:

HAL

Great job! I'll try the same. How long did it take with the shop towel and NaOH?

Back