Using 3-speed hub, how to make auto-shift?

Urban Fatbiker

Local time
1:35 PM
I am planning my next project, and considering another friction drive with reduction like the Buzzbike.

I like the idea of using a 3-speed hub for the reduction. However, a manual shift is not street legal. I could hide it. But with the recent ATV and dirt-bike rampaging downtown, officer dragging and all, I need legal options.

I have fab and electrical skills so open to all ideas. But...budget may limit my options. I can fab a mini-genny for power. I would also consider mechanical means to pull this off.

Even if I go chain-drive, this idea keeps the power-drive isolated from the pedal-drive and still gives shifter options.

A manual lock to keep it in climbing gear would be wanted as well.

No troll post. I WILL build it. Ideas? Or, links to someone that did it?
Thanks.

Since you need legality, it will be much harder to pull off. There is the developer hub made by shimano with electric shifting, think it can be programmed to shift at specific rpms, making it an auto shifter. There is also a project under construction right now making a 2 speed with a second centrifugal clutch on the jackshaft for second gear making it an auto 2 speed, we'll see how that turns out soon. Using gear reduction on a jackshaft with a larger diameter roller opens up many new options for shifting on a fd build. It would be much simpler if you said "fork the police".

It would be easy enough to hide it, not act a fool, and it would be geared for pulling power more than speed. Lotta hills around here.

But, its a challenge as much as an effort to make it legal. If I can"t integrate the autoshift immediately, I could just not connect the shift, forcing a stop-and-go...or remove the linkage for the city rides 🙄.

An Arduino controller (I'd have to buy), speed sensor (lotta scrap options from automobiles), and a RC servo (got lots of those) may be options. A brushless BDLC RC motor, a rectifier, and small battery for onboard power, or skip the power gen and just recharge the battery after ride.

I noted some older hubs have a neutral between 2 and 3 shift. That might be useful too.

A little study this AM...its doable. The controller is cheap, and the battlebot and amateur robot guys use them, servo control and speed sensor inputs no problem. Writing the code...a resume' builder. Well, not really, I already have that experience, applied to industrial robotic workcells. Never to
...a bicycle!

Watch this space. The next Buzzbike is getting robotics tech, onboard USB power, electronic auto-shift.

Gotta get me a 49cc 2-stroker.

And that bigger horn. Always the horn.

I pull this off, I'll share the hardware list, and the programming code.

Link to Arduino Nano:

49cc 2-stroke recommendations...I guess I begin with a good source of info:

3-speed hub...open for suggestions.

Programming code? Gonna need coffee. Muh' head already hurts.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So this means you want advice from someone who actually has built a bike that shifts automatically.

Here's what you need to get for the 3 speed IGH in order to make it shift automatically. It's the Kilduff auto shifter.

Yes, any ideas welcome.

I've seen the Landrider vid, but it runs thru the pedal drivetrain. Trying to avoid that.

That 3-speed auto shift I had not seen. That is the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'll have to check that out.

When I first came on here very few were interested in auto shifting. I'm glad to finally see this catching on. Many places have a 50 cc and automatic transmission requirement. With large people and steep hills a 50 cc engine or less must use multiple gears. For now the automatic shifting gives you a legal loop hole.

Back