Villiers attachment on 1950s Phillips

you might try golden eagle bike engines, they sell a drive ring that has slits in that snap on your spokes, the ring centers itself and little bumps at the bottom to aid with grip, they also have a kevlar belt, but only one length. villiers are great engines, they were in the old mustang. ride on stude13

Hi Jemma :)

Um..... I think your exhaust system might be too restrictive now Jemma which is why your engine is getting hot. The increase in power at the top end is most probably due to the pulse wave in the exhaust system managing to co-ordinate itself with the port timing at those revs to give an extractor effect and thereby overcoming the restriction to a degree.

The odd thing about that is the exhaust was almost red hot *before* I put the exhaust on compared to the old Zenoah. I at first though the engine was running lean so I checked that and according to plug colour it isnt - I am thinking that it might be because the 32cc engine is fitted with a catalytic converter in the exhaust. I know that engines have to run hotter with these so the ignition settings are changed accordingly.

by the way I have been trying to get hold of a boost bottle for the Tanaka and although I have found one the supplier wont supply to the UK :(. If anyone would help me out and ship one out for me.. beg, plead lol..

Im sorry to hear that you have had health problems sianelle - I got into the same situation recently although in my case it was a harmless cyst. I hope everything is going alright for you..

Jemma xx

I discovered a very interesting picture on a Swedish website of all places. This a 1933 Rex with 83cc Villiers engine and two speed Albion gearbox.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Rex1933.jpg?t=1209903739
This picture has now become my desktop image and I'm feeling awfully glad that I haven't committed myself to cutting metal yet :D

Hi Jemma, - I'm doing Ok and my health seems to be improving. Glad to hear you're Ok too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, that gorgeous bike erupts so many emotions inside me.

Happiness & joy from the beauty, but sadness as well... because I can't have it!!

I've seen a lot of good looking bikes on this site. And that "Rex" stands shoulder to shoulder with the best of 'em.

Isn't it a pity that our roads are filled with cars and not with bikes like this?

It's coming up to mid-Winter here and we've been having far too much rain for me to get anything done in the garden. Now that I'm getting myself properly back on my feet I'm keen to blow the dust off everything in my workshop and get my projects underway again.
While I was ill I kept my Villiers-Phillips project bike in my bedroom where I could see it from my bed. This meant that I could at least plot and plan even if I couldn't do much else some days. I'm strongly considering buying a 2nd generation 70cc engine kit to replace the 1920s Villiers engine for the meantime just so I can get all the cycle parts serviced and shaken down instead of being held up while I breath an elderly engine back to life. For a while it was only possible to get the 1st gen engines here in NZ and I wasn't keen to buy one of those.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Faygo2ndgenEngine.jpg

Sianelle - Good to hear you are out and about. I know we trade winters but it is still hard to imagine when it is 90 here. I looked at the pic of the new generation engine you are considering. I like the ones that have the screw's that hold the block together under the cylinder not set in a recess. I only have one that is that way I consider it the best quality. I still need my someone to understand about the bike in the bedroom, I'm so there. Have fun, Dave

I've gone ahead and ordered a 70cc FAYGO Gen II engine with manual clutch from Motrax who are our local supplier of bicycle motorising stuff (My electric hub for my tricycle came from them too). They had the auto clutch engines too, but I thought a manual clutch was best for the kind of 'heroic era' motor-bicycles I want to emulate.
Here in NZ it's a simple business to register a powercycle that has an engine under 50cc. A onetime payment of $NZ125.00 for a numberplate and you're good to go. I'm not interested in speed, I just want a way of powering one of my lovely old heavyweight roadster bicycles so I can get over to the next town to go to Mass, or to the bicycle shop there which is better than the one where I live. Sooooooo I am being a little wicked because I'm going to call my 70cc engine a '48cc' engine for official purposes. The way I see it it's better to have a larger engine and not stress it, rather than have a small engine and have to push it along to get anywhere (Nnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee......).
The old 1920s Villiers engine is 83cc btw and it's quite usual to call them 50cc engines for rego purposes so I don't think I'm being that naughty. I've asked for a second sprocket kit with my order to allow for a wee bit of experimentation with wheels and frames.
Ooooooooo I'm feeling soooooooo excited :D

Hi Dave, it's being single and owning my own house that lets me keep bicycles of all kinds in my bedroom should I want to. Not so good for the companionship situation, but wonderfully warm and comfortable for doing bike maintenance during Winter :eek:

... it's being single and owning my own house that lets me keep bicycles of all kinds in my bedroom should I want to. Not so good for the companionship situation, but wonderfully warm and comfortable for doing bike maintenance during Winter :eek:

I know what you mean, I'm in the same situation. I have a 1941 Columbia and a 1953 Western Flyer in my dining room. None of my oil-drippers (2-strokes) live inside though. They stay in the garage. :cool:

Back