Western Flyer?

Alrighty then.

Got the brakes greased and back together.

The sprocket was no biggie after I ground the dust cover flange off so the sprocket fit over it. I made a wheel stand out of a bucket that helped the process-
601_bike_003_1.jpg

The coaster break arm was a biotch, To avoid re-living that nightmare, I'll just say a five pound hammer, vice, and torch took care of that.

The chain tensioner was no fun and a re-education in geometry and dislexia. I got that all done though, just took two hours.

Even though the sprocket ran true with no run out axially or radially, the chain loosens and tightens a bit as the chain goes 'round. I pushed the bike around the yard as fast as I could run and nothing came off. I'll keep an eye on that, might have to re-do the sprocket, even though it seemed fine the first time.

All that's left is the tank/carb and the clutch lever/cable.

Stay tuned.

No work on the bike today- pouring rain all day and I have to push the other toys outside to have enough room to work..... :( :(

Bikeguy Joe said:
No work on the bike today- pouring rain all day and I have to push the other toys outside to have enough room to work..... :( :(
Are you working at my place without my knowing about it
LOL
I feel that man, I've got the same situation here. And when it's not raining so I could move the other toys out to work, there's other stuff to be done before it rains again...
But, it's fun anyway, no matter what!

The thing is, I have a "big" Suzuki, a "little" Yamaha scooter, a rare 1961 Capriolo 100cc motorcycle, four bicycles, a 45 year old orange tree that resides in the garage all winter, a full wood shop, plus various model aircraft (R/C) that use up the garage. On top of that, I just finished a big room that I built inside the garage as part of the addtion to the garage...there is also left over lumber and drywall from the project hanging around.

Sooooo, right now I have zero "extra" room to spread out all the tools/parts/ ect until I pull all the bikes out.

Oh, the price of joy! :D

After I go to the principals breakfast with daughter number 4, change the rotor on daughter number 3's car, and put the belt on daughter number 2's truck, I will finish the bike TODAY.

Pictures to follow this evening, I promise!

Check it out-
601_bike_007_1.jpg

Got it going today. The thing was sooo rough when it first started, thought it might explode....then after ten minutes of break in, it smoothed out nicely, still has a long way to go. Of course, that's with a 20/1 mix too.I'll go to 40/1 after the first tank.

The kill switch crapped out (tech term there) after I shut it off the third time. I took it off and threw it across the street where all "bad things" end up.

I'll ride it awhile, then probably take it apart and paint it.

Mrs. Joe said; "You aren't going to sell that one." I said; "It depends on how the next one turns out....... :D

Do what I did with my kill switch.

Bought a small pushbutton switch from radioshack, ran a wire from the white wire to the button, and then one from the other terminal to the barrel adjuster on a brake lever, and used a hose clamp to keep it tight, It's never need any adjustments or repairs since, very reliable, and safe way to kill the engine.

Heres a pic to show which button to buy, and where I mounted mine.
904_HPIM0490_1.jpg

The flip toggle under the red kill switch is to turn my lights on/off.

Joe, you should change your name to "Gadget man"! Would you like an altimeter and a rate of climb indicator? Just kidding....but then again. :D

I killed the engine with the choke this last time out, seemed fine.

I will eventually install a "regular" kill switch, I have a couple around here from motorcycles.

I am gadget man! I must have more guages and switches!

I have a mini control panel that controls turn signals and brake lights already made, but I can't mount it without having the actual lights in place.

You should see my guitar/amp. Many...many...gauges and switches (added by me)

Got around fifty miles on it and no adjustments or loose anything. I did pull off the front wheel and it was waaay out of balance, so I removed the relector and use some solder to wrap the spokes at the rim and got the wheel pretty close to perfect, which is good enough. I greased the bearings and axle (red grease, turn black when it needs to be changed, or something is grinding away inside making metal dust).

I put the wheel back on and took it for a ride. It was much smoother and quieter. Guess a lot of the noise came from the front wheel shaking so much.

Rode it about 15 miles, I discovered if I run it at a high idle, that's about the top speed I can practically pedal. If I pull the clutch lock when I'm going down hill and coast back down to my "pedalling speed" on the flats, I can probably reach 200 mpg! :LOL:

Back