What 2 Stroke engine is the BEST!!!

I am trying to find a good 2 stroke engine that will not fail 3 months down the road. it should be a 66/80 cc engine that if posibal has a slant spark plug reciver. Also i have been hearing whor sotories about unbalanced engines shaking themselfs to pieces. (so good a crank blalancing characteristic should be in order). And i dont know what clutch asembely i should get with it (BETWEEN A stinger stile larg round plate cluch or a pin and ball clutch). You should also know that i want to pay under 150 dollars for it. Please tell me oh gods of the 2 strokes your knoble deciple awaites your answers.:bowdown: (sorry if spelling is not perfect)

Recon, what you want to know is which is the best Happy Time engine. Forget the slanting sprk plugs - just try and get a good motor. The old Grubee SkyHawks were pretty good but the new ones with the slanting plug hve serious problems Read
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=311073&postcount=1
There is alway some luck involved - a really good engine takes a lot of luck. These things are made in China!

lol

Tell me about it Irish... those Chinese fellas need to start drinking a better brand of beer and melt THOSE cans down for H/T engines.
Its the luck of the draw...I've been very lucky with the china girls so far.
BBB

Last edited:
Beer

Tell me about it Irish... those Chinese fellas need to start drinking a better brand of beer and melt THOSE cans down for H/T engines.
Its the luck of the draw...I've been very lucky with the china girls so far.
BBB

American beer. I got a 09 grubee 66cc straight. It's been on 2 frames and ready for the 3rd. Top speed 41 / 140 miles on it. Ive herd many chats on the new motors carb.

Attachments

• LZ1 R..jpg
    LZ1 R..jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,095
  • CompleteLZ2.jpg
    CompleteLZ2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,066
American beer. I got a 09 grubee 66cc straight. It's been on 2 frames and ready for the 3rd. Top speed 41 / 140 miles on it. Ive herd many chats on the new motors carb.

A 2009 66cc Grubee was indeed a good engine (luck was still important though) but if you have only done 140 miles on it that is about 10 metres a day which isn't really classed as heavy use in my book. You would still be on your first tank of fuel.:D

China girl engine life spans

I usually get between 6000 and 10,000 miles on a china girl engine before a top end job.
Proper break in is crucial...
To this end I've built a engine run in stand that's cooled by 2 large fans.
I start them off on a 16:1 mix of conventional 2 stroke oil and premium gasoline, under a simulated load akin to normal city riding, and its got a constantly variable cam actuated throttle that never keeps it at the same throttle opening (RPM) for more than 15 seconds at a time.
I never over rev them until there broken in.
Treat it right, it will treat you right.
BBB

I'd like to see your setup. I've always thought that would be a good way to run them in. The latest SkyHawks would break seals during the running in though.

Exactly why I do it that way Irish, if its going to fail, i want it to fail on my bench and NOT in a customers bike, I'd rather split the cases and replace any seals or bearings in house so as not to loose or disapoint the customer.
BBB

Exactly why I do it that way Irish, if its going to fail, i want it to fail on my bench and NOT in a customers bike, I'd rather split the cases and replace any seals or bearings in house so as not to loose or disapoint the customer.
BBB

I see what you mean. I just ride the bikes until I'm happy to hand them over with chain stretched and all the idiosynchrasies ironed out. Usually between 125 kms and 250 kms - it varies between bikes and when I find really good quality host bikes the manufacturer discontinues the model. When I found a Grubee 4-stroke gearbox that performed OK they discontinued that and replaced it with a belt drive that didn't work. Then I put a 50% deposit on every Grubee gearbox left in stock and the dealer sold those to others when I'd paid an agreed deposit on them. It is nearly impossible to keep the customer happy when you rely on suppliers like I do. There are no longer any cruisers I can use to build 4-strokes in Australia. I had to buy every last Schwinn frame I could afford when I found out what the 2010 Schwinn range was going to be.

I usually get between 6000 and 10,000 miles on a china girl engine before a top end job.
Proper break in is crucial...

wow, and I was only expecting to get a couple thousand out of an HT! Mine's only got about 300 miles before the bike itself failed (new Worksman just waiting for paint for the rebuild).

I broke mine in oil-rich, taking shorter rides around the neighborhood, varying throttle while riding, based on advice I found here. I figure even if I get a hard season out of each engine (several thousand miles a year), even if I have to replace the whole motor, that's not too bad.

No prob Baron, out of necessity(lack o funds)as a kid I read alot and pestered the old mechanics that worked in my town and learned how to really baby an engine and get as much as I could out of them.
At first it was just to keep em running, which invariably leads to blue printing, balancing and bullet proofing which inevitably leads to performance tuning.
Hit me up in PM and ill point ya in the right direction. I have some neat oiling tricks up my sleeve.
Any time .
BBB

Back