what if engine breaks down?

DaveA

Local time
7:47 PM
It seems some people on this forum are ok with the bike berry type engines while others are not. Since that is what I am using on my first build I thought to ask...

"ok what kind of engine failure would stop you from being able to pedal the bicycle"? How difficult is it to remove the drive chain and is there anything that can be done prior to make it easier to remove?

My 23 yr old daughter will be using this build to commute to school. I want to prepare her for an engine failure and what she would need to do to keep moving as well as how to repair the failure. She is going to build the bike with me.

thanks,
Dave A

I would keep some tools in a back pack,..needle nose plyers,adjustable wrench,screwdrivers..just keep the motor mounts tight so the motor doesnt get out of line ..if motor gets out of line it can snap the chain. Keep an eye on the clutch stop nut..make sure its on tight with a screwdriver and plyers.

if the motor fails to the point at which locking the clutch lever won't allow just pedaling it, then take off the master link on the motor chain and loop the end of the chain over motor to pedal home

crassius, thanks man.....do you have or know of a preferred tool for removing a master link quickly?

put a house key across the end of the clip and rap the key with a knuckle usually works for me - that's why one puts the open end of the clip to the rear of travel direction because any piece of gravel hitting it just right will pop it off

Back