What model is this JC Higgins bike

sweetsheila

Local time
3:42 PM
I was wondering what model this JC Higgins bike is? I'm thinking 1940's was the time era. And was that a marman motor kit added on? Any help with this I would greatly appreciate it! Sheila

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 9,286
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 4,413
Hey thanks for the web site ocscully! It was very helpful. I did find out its a late 1940's bike but with miss-matched parts, was right about the motor kit part though.
Thanks for replying!

JCHiggins bikes were sold by Sears Roebuck and Co. after WW2. Whether that was 1945, 1946 or 1944? I'm not sure. I found out the badges will say if they were made in U.S.A., Germany or (not sure, Austria? France? England?) Can't remember the third. Try going on line to Sears Catalogue / History, there is a link there somewhere where someone can check their data base if you give them your bikes serial number. (may be under crank housing or rear wheel drop-out area). They helped me identify a 1955 basic German made JCH for me...sorry I couldn't find my link for you.
bri.

That Jc Higgins is Murray built. The bicycle itself is pretty plane jane, but that motor kit makes it 100% cooler and much more valuable. I'd say just as a rough estimate that the bicycle is a late 40's early 50's model. Its hard to tell what model because of the missing or incorrect parts, but it doesn't have a springer so its possibly one of the base models.

As Bricycle said, the JC Higgins brand was post-war. Sears bikes from the '20s through the war were sold under the Elgin brand. The bike is definitely Murray-built, and judging by the skip-tooth chainring I would say most likely built between 1946 and '50.

Big Thanks

Thank you to everyone helping. The info was great. I'm gonna start planning my restoration now. The motor is top notch, the bike I might switch out.
Thanks again. -Sheila:rolleyes:

Back