Engine Trouble will NOT run

well, you shouldn't have to mess with the float on a brand new carb.
you should have just installed it right out of the box to see how it would run.
then, make adjustments from there because it may have ran fine as it was.
but now that you messed with the float, you may have to go back and re-adjust it.
it all depends on how level your carb is because if it's at a slight angle, it still may flood over even tho you have the float set it at 19 mm.

you're plug looks fine and it just looks like there's a bit of oil / carbon build up on it.
it doesn't appear to be soaked with fuel.
I'm not sure about those 3 prong plugs but i hear that they work pretty good. I personally like the ngk B6HS plugs.

The plug was soaked with fuel but it dried out b/c it has been out of the motor for several days. If that new plug doesn't work, ill try the ngk. I hate to wait for shipping. Do you know if autozone oreilly advance or pep boys carries that?

Still Wont Run

Well I checked all my work and tried again. This time it would fire about 7-8 times and stall. Cyl was very warm. Have a 1/8mi hill to try on. Would always run by the bottom b4. Went back to house, tried other 2 cdi's. I am absolutely positive i have never hooked any cdi up wrong. Engine would not fire at all with either.

I guess tomorrow i will try my other 2 magnetos with the cdi that wanted to run. I have labeled all cdis and magnetos so i dont mix them up. I am also journalizing this ordeal. I have been working on this for so long and done so much i'm not sure anymore what i have tried with what. So I'm starting over.

The magneto that is currently installed is brand new. I am calling it #3. I am curious is anyone knows if magnetos can perform weakly. From what ive read it seems that they either work or dont. :sick:

oh and btw, motorpsycho the new carb didn't flood. My adjustment to it was very slight as i said the primer pin was in the way so i really couldnt adj it anyway. Maybe 1mm. and I forgot to mention before that i sprayed starting fluid in the intake ,reinstalled carb and it still would not run. My prob has got to be weak or improperly timed spark. I made sure of the timing so the only thing left are mag's and cdi's

Try hooking your cdi wiring up so it is black to black blue to blue. Have no wiring grounding to frame. It looks like you have your black wire grounded to the frame. Eliminate the kill switch entirely.

Still Nothing

Tried Magneto #2 and engine actually ran for about 10 secs. This is with new plug. I installed an old plug three pronger stall immed on clutching.

Pulled plug and rigged a new ground and a solid copper wire from cdi to plug. CDI #1 and 2 will only spark at 900 rpm on drill. CDI #3 wasted. Is there any way poss to partially fry cdi by having magneto with white wire up and blue down? If so they r prob ng cause i hooked the magneto upside down by accident. Oh well i continue to be stuck here.:cry:

It Runs!!!!!!!!!!

A friend advised me to check to see if the muffler was clogged. Boy was it. I had a spare that the bottom fell off of. I found that the float bowl of a tecumseh lawn mower engine slides RIGHT OVER the end and IS ALREADY DRILLED for the stud. I just added one more hole 1/2 and put the nut back on and was ready to fly. Ran like never before, i think partially because of the new NT carb but almost completely because of the clog. All this work really allowed me to find out the best and strongest of all my parts. The new plug seems excellent. It is a E3 Diamond Fire. Model#is e3.12. I found it in the lawnmower section at a local autoparts store for $5.99. I recommend it. And it's much shorter which should help those of you who has fitment issues.

I think this thread deserves a sticky. How does that work?.... and can you edit the title of your thread? I'd like to change the title to:
will NOT run...NOW IT DOES

Last edited:
Back