Zeda 100 "Max"

I have a HF metric set like this. Not too bad… decent for our occasional use.
It’s cleaned up a lot threads for me.
Yep, I have a SAE and Metric tap and die set from Northern Tool (more or less the same as HF) that I have had for years. Works fine and I have yet to break one. Just have to take your time and don't be a dunce and put the taps in a drill.

This cheap aluminum they cast these out of cuts super easy too.

Yep, I have a SAE and Metric tap and die set from Northern Tool (more or less the same as HF) that I have had for years. Works fine and I have yet to break one. Just have to take your time and don't be a dunce and put the taps in a drill.

This cheap aluminum they cast these out of cuts super easy too.
Northern tool set probably much better quality than the HF sets.

Helicoil - keep same bolt as stock.

That's the advantage.

If you have no problem going a size bigger, and only have metric taps. Go to an M8. M8 is the most common exhaust bolt/stud size on most engines.

If it helps you decide, I would go for an M8 myself. Ideally it should be drilled to a 29/64 before tapping.
29/64 is almost 1/2 inch. I held the M8 tap up to a 1/4 inch bit and it looked close

29/64 is almost 1/2 inch. I held the M8 tap up to a 1/4 inch bit and it looked close
Sorry, meant 17/64, typed 29 for some reason. 1/4 inch is 6.35mm, which is very tight for cutting M8 x 1.25 threads. Ideally you want a 6.7 to 6.8mm hole. Be very careful and go very very slow of you use a 1/4 drill bit. The risk of jamming up and breaking that tap will be very high.

Sorry, meant 17/64, typed 29 for some reason. 1/4 inch is 6.35mm, which is very tight for cutting M8 x 1.25 threads. Ideally you want a 6.7 to 6.8mm hole. Be very careful and go very very slow of you use a 1/4 drill bit. The risk of jamming up and breaking that tap will be very high.
The Ace hardware near me has the 17/64 drill bit and the M8 bolts. I will pick them up tomorrow. Thanks.

Back