Cautioned in Adelaide South Australia

Powered Pushbikes Tas says their banned in some states.

Hi, I've got a few Chinese 70cc bikes but wanted a Sachs 'cause much less noise. Rang up Powered Pushbikes Tas and they said after ringing their distributor that the Sachs (200W) were banned in some states now (QLD?) and it looked likely to be in all states soon. They said they won't sell the engines anymore but will service them.
I did get a Rotary though with a compliance sticker and will just take my chances.

JonB2, hi. Powered Pushbikes Tas has a 200W Sachs engine? Tell me more, please.
ie How much, capacity, mid or rear mount, etc.
A link, pics...? You have my attention.

... Steve

200 watts is nothing.....that's about one person power(on a good day) & roughly 1/4 HP,so even the smallest petrol engine is going to produce way more than that.
Don't see how any amount of policeing can be inforced unless there's a blanket ban on ALL motorized bicycles,OR every single MB is officially dyno tested & approved.
Hope your case jahmonn doesn't become the rule rather than the exception & if anyone local is booked & taken to court i'll donate whatever(time/money) to help them fight it.......A FIGHTING FUND. :2guns:

I started a thread no more than 3 months ago to get this happening nobody showed interest in it.. I see now what was inevitable is finally happening, i shall sit back and watch it unfold this time.....If you find this thread you will also find a 'doctored' dyno sheet i PhotoChopped too 200watt for the HT engines...

Good luck with it anywayz your fighting a losing battle unless you have the 200watt limit increasedto 750watt and that AIN'T guna happen folks lets be real AT BEST you will get 250-300watt ... your days of riding care free on a 49cc are numbered in OZ mark my words....BUT..I'll still be happily riding my 6500watt (8hp) e-bike under the radar though so personally ...i don't care anymore. :devilish:

KiM

Last edited:
Good luck with it anywayz your fighting a losing battle unless you have the 200watt limit increased ... your days of riding care free on a 49cc are number in OZ
KiM

There is only one real answer here in Oz - 200W electric.
Much as I like my little 66cc 2-stroke, I'm holding my breath, waiting for that day. It will come.
The petrol/gas engines are doomed here.

On the other side of the coin, I'm amazed at how well my 200W electric gets me around. Average speed 20-22kph, max 30kph, 32km range, only need to pedal on the steepest of hills and not at all when taking off. Great torque at very low speeds. ie. 3mph. It's my main transport. No fun at all to ride, though.

(To be fair, I should add that I weigh only 50kg, (110 lb).)

... Steve

Last edited:
There is only one real answer here in Oz - 200W electric.

. No fun at all to ride, though.

... Steve

Yup thats about the size of it, and with know way to test the motors roadside combined with the many many many different size and shape motors they electrics cant be 'pigeon holed' like a 47cc HT is, every cop will know a HT is illeagal just by looking at the motor...not the same with an electric AND hehee this is the sneaky part, its simple as custard to have a hideen current limiting switch set too allow only enough current to the motor to ouput 200watt...My throttle interface has one built in, the box is about the size of a pack of smokes and is hidden in the enclosed case on my bike ...Dunno how i will explain crusing down the highway at 65km/hr on 200watt pullin my wheelchair behind me though still working on that hehehe... :devilish:

KiM

p.s 200watt e-bike might not be fun i can assure you a 1000watt is hanging to find out what a 6500watt will be like, i envisage keeping the front wheel on the ground will be the only issue i will have ...only days away of finding out too :)

p.s.s my two arms would weight 50kilo Steve LOL you light weight have a feed man HAVE A FEEEED!!!

Last edited:
Yup thats about the size of it, and with know way to test the motors roadside combined with the many many many different size and shape motors they electrics cant be 'pigeon holed' like a 47cc HT is, every cop will know a HT is illeagal just by looking at the motor...not the same with an electric AND hehee this is the sneaky part, its simple as custard to have a hideen current limiting switch set too allow only enough current to the motor to ouput 200watt...My throttle interface has one built in, the box is about the size of a pack of smokes and is hidden in the enclosed case on my bike ...Dunno how i will explain crusing down the highway at 65km/hr on 200watt pullin my wheelchair behind me though still working on that hehehe... :devilish:

KiM

p.s 200watt e-bike might not be fun i can assure you a 1000watt is hanging to find out what a 6500watt will be like, i envisage keeping the front wheel on the ground will be the only issue i will have ...only days away of finding out too :)

p.s.s my two arms would weight 50kilo Steve LOL you light weight have a feed man HAVE A FEEEED!!!

First, just checked out the pic of the 650W. Wild.
Any details about what's in the cocoon?
ie. Brushless, I assume, controller type, batts?.

Mine only has a 10Ah battery. (Lithium, so at least it weighs SFA.)
I would have gone up to 400W or 1000W, but range would be limited, so instead I opted for the HT to fill the gap for longer rides. If only I could make it reliable enough to trust for those longer rides.

I noticed today that my hub motor has a very clear printed label stating that it is 200W, 36V, so I don't have too much to worry about on that one. (Still, it really produces about 250W-275W and like yours, there's a pair of wires you connect if you want to really limit power to 200W. It operates a current limiter in the controller. Needless to say, those wires aren't connected.)
Mine also had PAS, intelligent assist, but it was c r a p and powered the wheel occasionally when you didn't want it to, like when doing a tight u-ey, (u-turn). I'd back the throttle off and stop pedalling and the engine would stay powered for a second or two, at full throttle.
It's supposed to automatically assist when pedalling, but when you stop pedalling, it takes 2-3 seconds for the 'assist' to stop.
I disconnected the pedal sensor and it works great now - the motor is only powered when I twist the throttle.

Mate, you wouldn't believe how much I eat. Possibly more than you. I've always been unable to put on weight, no matter what I eat.
At my peak, I weighed about 60kg, but the last few years I've lost a bit.

Emphysema. No sympathy, please, I asked for it. Loved cigs and b o n gs.
Hence the powered pushbikes. I'm fine until I need to pedal or push.
There's a lesson there somewhere for the young smokers, (of both).

Wheelchair - a story?

... Steve

Last edited:
First, just checked out the pic of the 650W. Wild.
Any details about what's in the cocoon?
ie. Brushless, I assume, controller type, batts?.

Wheelchair - a story?

... Steve

Thats 6500watt buddy with another 6500watt to go be ~18hp when done.

Brushless Turnigy RC outrunner (x2) Controle Castle Creation Centilo HV110 nodified with extra caps mated to a custom made Fechter throttle interface batteries 44v 20ah Lithium Polymer.. (good for 50-60km steady riding 20km thrashing the balls off it)

Want the full story the worklog is right here on MoteredBikes from me buying the tube till current stage of the bike...tiz full custom build Steve..my 4th full custom build theothers also here on the site ;-) Make yourself comfy Steve :p its a bit of a read mate...

KiM

p.s yes wheelchair im a incomplete paraplegic have been since i was 21 (40 now) hit two lampost on a motorcycle after a front wheel failure back in 1991...

Sorry, Kim - typo. Meant 6500. Wild. I've got a short video here of a 1000W version of my e-bike doing a burnout. A 6500W would be like a 250 dirt bike. I want one, but where will I fit all the batts for 30km rides?

... Steve

SI want one, but where will I fit all the batts for 30km rides?
If you use Lipo like i have the battery footprint is not alot ... i have 8 packs each each is 149mmx49x49 i have room to carry 16 of these to get over 100km range per charge and charge time is ~45 minutes ... :D Techs there for Electric if you have the $$$ for it...my pack was a tad over 500 bucks delivered.

KiM

Yeah, mine is an LiFePo4, same as yours by the sound of it. Light as.
(The standard was steel frame, Lead-acid battery, but for an extra $AU200, I think it was, I got the alloy frame and LiFePo4 version. Worth the extra. 20kg lighter and the battery speaks for itself.)
It's more aesthetic in my case, I s'pose. There's a nice slide rack for the single battery to fit into, with a lock so no b.... can steal it. I think I can get a 14Ah from the states to fit, for $1,000,000, (Liberty Cycles, I think they're called in the US), so I'm putting that off for now.
Otherwise, I'd have to mess around heaps to fit extras and make them lockable.

OT, why don't they put steering locks on these things? They're so heavy, no one would carry them away in a hurry. A good steering lock on the HT wouldn't go astray, either. Something with snap-off bolts, like Holden and Ford ignitions. (Do 'em up, top snaps off, can't be undone.)
No more chains and locks when shopping. Still wouldn't leave it parked too long, though.

... Steve

Back