1st build, need help, lots

When I grow up I want to be just like Fred.

I wanted every tool and now have most. My drillpress, I found on Craigslist, it was in a pollbarn rusted and seized up, I examined it and then pointed out all of its issues, my offer of $60. Was accepted, with only needing to buy a jar of rust remover, steel wool and a wire wheel that fit on my corded drill, and watching several YouTube videos on how to tear down, restore and rebuild, I now use the wire wheel on my drillpress often to clean steel and welds from my Harbor freight mig welder,I also use my bench grinder quite frequently and of course a dremel with carbide bits and cutting wheel
Vises and 4 1/2" angle grinders are indispensable, with cutting wheel, various flap disc sanding discs and a 1/4" wheel, tap and die set is nice, as well as good quality drill bits a must.
I've done fine with $7.50 socket sets from Family dollar and free screw driver sets from harbor freight, I buy steel from a local company in all shapes and sizes.
These are just my preference, I like the full hands on approach, I enjoy the freedom to fabricate, design and modify, I build custom, try new things and attempt things I haven't seen done and take great pride in doing so( especially when it works!!!) When things don't work out it is rewarding to feel your mind instantly switch over to the "how do I do this differently to make it work" mode. Motorized bicycle building is addictive, sometimes pricey but doesn't always have to be.
The main thing you need is to enjoy the benefits of your labor.

What irritates me is when people think that throwing money at something makes it better, if you've ever priced skateboard bearings there's nothing cheap about them. I would rather learn how to properly use a mig welder and drill press and fabricate my own parts than put my life in the hands of a person in China who makes a couple dollars a day, example double monarch forks that have more powder coat than weld, I will say there is nothing wrong with a Huffy beach cruiser frame, my ex wife crashed my newly completed bike going about 30 mph, talk about mixed emotions, lol. My bike still powered me home with its bent forks and bent rim to get the truck to go back and take her to the hospital, I know what you're thinking... No it wasn't due to a coaster brake failure, she panicked on a curve with obstructions, my frame and Chinese made motor were just fine, she however acquired 5 fractures to her pelvis after flying through the air almost 15 feet. The true art to a custom built motorized bicycle is not how much you can spend, but how much of your thoughts and labor you can put into it.

If you really know what you are doing you are right. Someone with a CNC mill that knows how to use it could make a lot better parts than you can buy (though I still don't understand why companies are not making such high quality parts for motorized bicycles) But most of the builds I have seen clearly show that the builder did not know very much about what they were doing, and there bikes were dangerous. Sorry to hear about your ex wife.

She's recovering slowly, all fractures were inoperable,, we've come to accept that she'll never be 100% . My bike is recovering slowly as well I completely redesigned it, it started as my winter build, when I ran out of winter I decided to finish it next winter, I need to change the carburetor, attach the turn signals and wire the dashboard, yes dashboard with voltage gauge, speedometer, turn signal switch and various toggle switches for the high/low beam, fog lights and blue leds placed in discrete areas, I'm trying to finish my summer build, an Electra beach cruiser for tall, a 3 hp Tecumseh electric start 2 stroke engine from my old snowblower, suicide clutch with brake lever for the front and rear mount gas tank, I need to rework the bearings in the transmission and weld an extension to create a small Jack shaft for stability, can't wait to feel the speed!

How about wheels guys? What should I buy?
So right up front, I don't know what I'm doing. Chances are I'll ask questions that are elementary. I bought a repop schwinn panther straight bar frame, and a Springer fork. I'll be running a 2 stroke, most likely pk80. Now, what should I buy for wheels? I want good brakes. I already know I can't afford the sweet drum hub wheels. I'll attach pics of what I bought. Thanks in advance
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Reproduction-...orized-26-Frame-only-/272245652542?nav=SEARCH
http://m.ebay.com/itm/vintage-schwi...ire-26-springer-fork-/282054680479?nav=SEARCH
Schwinn Bikes !!!
Awesome at 8 Mph !
Way Way Way Too Thin of a frame wall... Way!!!!!!
Usually depending on metallurgy.
Read up on serial # and the degradation of schwinn quality Also its Outsourcing Manufacturing to foreign countries. Which I'm not at all for or against....
But Quality is Quality
Foundation is everything
Even at A cruising 25 mph.
I can tell you this:
I have had more motorized bicycle schwinn frame owners come to my shop for frame repairs than any other!
And I always have the same answer " I cant weld that and get a good nights sleep "
If your frame cracks it's a sign. & Pick a Winner
Your Budget has got to start from the ground up.
Don't go to the Red Dot with the bullseye store and get one of those.
Get Quality You Deserve It !

Coming along

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1468335306466.jpg
    FB_IMG_1468335306466.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 183
Cool, cool. Take it at a meticulous pace and can't wait to see the build. At first, I didn't see the strings and was wondering how the hell are you levitating the bike frame like that... :eek:

Well I got a little accomplished

Attachments

• 20160717_170645.jpg
    20160717_170645.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 20160717_171415.jpg
    20160717_171415.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 179
Back