2 speed direct drive shifting system?

Again, not my idea (dchevygod) and have to email pocket bike 5:1 transmission sellers to verify that it is reversed.

full
Snicker...

I don't see a direction reversal system, but then again how much can you trust from a guy with an expansion chamber exhaust on his 4-stroke ;-}

Snicker...

I don't see a direction reversal system, but then again how much can you trust from a guy with an expansion chamber exhaust on his 4-stroke ;-}

I think it is internal to that specific gear reduction box. Note, there are two common pocket bike transmissions the 3:1 (similar to Hoot, 4g, 5g, 7g?) and this 5:1 that I think dchevygod is using. And, it seems like the 5:1 does reverse direction but again I am really really off this week so I can't trust my analysis skills... I did read about people having trouble reversing their 5:1 transmission on pocket bike forums. Again, I'm pretty off this week. Here is a picture of the gears for the 5:1 box. Can someone verify if my directional lines are right...

pocketbike.jpg
pocketbike.jpg
pocketbike.jpg

pocketbike.jpg

pocketbike.jpg

Attachments

• pocketbike.jpg
    pocketbike.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
I think it is internal to that specific gear reduction box. Note, there are two common pocket bike transmissions the 3:1 (similar to Hoot) and this 5:1 that I think dchevygod is using. And, it seems like the 5:1 does reverse direction but again I am really really off this week so I can't trust my analysis skills... I did read about people having trouble reversing their 5:1 transmission on pocket bike forums. Again, I'm pretty off this week. Here is a picture of the gears for the 5:1 box. Can someone verify if my directional lines are right...

pocketbike.jpg
pocketbike.jpg
pocketbike.jpg

pocketbike.jpg

pocketbike.jpg
You are on again. Their definitely reversing direction, and they look pretty strong too. If they fit the 142 wouldn't that be something. https://www.ebay.com/i/201852732586?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You are on again. Their definitely reversing direction, and they look pretty strong too. If they fit the 142 wouldn't that be something.https://www.ebay.com/i/201852732586?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Oh good. I am not an idiot. Well, maybe still after the crap I pulled this week. But, just open this guy up and load it full of grease and you are good to go for 10k miles!! I like it also because it avoids the crappy internal chain and belt. It has a good possibility of fitting the HS 142-F. I have the HS 142-F with the hoot transmission (modified) and it serves me well. I don't want to tear that bike down. So, I was thinking of just making a new very very basic build (cheap bike, engine, 5:1 trans, SBP freewheel, and cables) to test this and pricing in the Winter/Spring but I dunno things are too busy for me. Also, that ebay seller is in China and his price is too high; I've seen domestic sellers sell them for $20-30 with shipping.

I mean if you can get the pricing down to just a bit more than an average or premium 2-stroke kit with the added benefits this 5:1 transmission might provide. And, the performance and reliability is measurably better than the standard 4-stroke kits I think that would be very good for the community.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Monsterscooterparts has the trans for $19.99-24.99 dependent on chain sprocket, they take a light trans oil and handle about 3HP.

Mons
Will they fit the hs142 taper shaft engines?
They have a clutch bell, bolt on, for an input, 2 7/8" bolt hole pattern, that's corner to corner 5/1 reduction, this is the only one that is made fits about everything. Partsforscooters.com also has them might have more specs. Has a 77.5mm bell internal dia.

Last edited:
i know the pocket bike 3:1 transmission (casing and bolt pattern) fits the HS-142F taper so this one should fit also but double check. Also, note the pocket bike clutch bell is smaller than the one from the 4-stroke kit. This is good and bad. Good for me because I like using the pocket bike clutch bell on my Hoot gear reduction box because it "fits" the stock 3 arm clutches better. Bad for you folks who may use the premium Staton HD clutch. The pocket bike bell would most likely not fit and you have to go back to the 3-arm clutch or if possible replace the bell with the larger one used in 4-stroke kits.

Stick with a 4G transfer for your HS 142F-1G clutch attached engine, they are the best.

RedGT2done2L.jpg
Have you tried or have any experience at all with the trans. these guys are talking about? If so tell us your findings. If not then you have no findings and cannot make a educated statement as to which is the better of the two. So which is it?

Back