2 speed direct drive shifting system?

I've been thinking something along the same lines it would be nice to do a cheap multispeed right side set up. I've considered using a 3spd hub flipped over to the right, up in the frame of the bike near the engine. Then run a chain to a sprocket on the hub which would drive the sprocket of the 3 spd since it would be in reverse being flipped.

Search for the user name of Cannonball2, he has rigged up a 3 speed rear wheel gear set as a transmission. I believe it was a Sturmey Archer that was mounted on the seat post behind the motor.

Thanx man lol I'm not surprised someone else thought down that line :) now to find someone to make an affordable kit :D

I believe he showed a pic of it on the thread about adapting a Stihl chainsaw carb on his bike. I think it was in the last moth or so.

Heck yeah that things awesome! It looks like he just did away with the freewheel on it that makes sense. I was thinking about doing it with a gear reduction on the 3spd then running a super tiny rear sprocket maybe a 20 to save energy from spinning the chain so fast. Or on a four stroke setup running a centrifugal clutch with no gear reducer and using a gear reduction on the three speed with a large rear sprocket to make the front setup slimmer.
Or you could Jack shaft it too and run a 3spd rear hub with two freewheel cassettes on it. One for the pedals and one for the motor. Giving the motor 9 speeds! So you could have your extreme low for pulling out small trees and still high gear it on the highway to cruise at 40 with low rpms :) aaaand still be able to pedal assist easily on take off.

Last edited:
Could you imagine fitting a nuvinci in the frame and running right hand drive for racing builds. Ive heard Jack shafts rob too much power but a simple transmission wouldnt have nearly the rotating mass. And if you ran a reducer so you could use a tiny rear gear and slow the speed of you drive chain you may even be able to make it match efficiency!

3 wheel trikes like Worksman used a 3 speed mid mounted for shifting........Curt

Last edited:
Have you tried or have any experience at all with the trans. these guys are talking about? If so tell us your findings. If not then you have no findings and cannot make a educated statement as to which is the better of the two. So which is it?
Yes I have tried most of them, I got Hoots with the great price on HS 144F-1G engines I bought from gasbike, like 4 of them.
The little chains wear (stretch) and it fails.
Not tried a Straton Inc transfer case, I can't find it on their web site either so they didn't brag about it there.

I am happy with the 4G adjustable belt transfer case and they work Great! Why dick with the others?

37861649_146639469550613_2301704670785044480_n[1].jpg

Back