Fuel Mixture 2-stroke oil vs Automatic Transmission Fluid

I have done this in my outboard days ago by mistake.

G'day all

I've got a question for the oil tech-heads, and i know it may be a very stupid question.

Today, i was pouring out some 2-stroke oil and also some ATF into smaller containers.
They both seemed to have a zero weight viscosity and felt very similar rubbing between forefinger and thumb.

I've heard some people use ATF as a diesel fuel lubricant and others have run diesel engines on straight ATF with the engine not suffereing any ill effects.

Ok, can some knowledgeable person enlighten me as to the technical differences between ATF and 2-stroke oil and if you could substitute one for the other without reducing engine life, or could you mix ATF and 2-stroke oil if that's your only option.

Fabian

Ok, new to this fourm. Need to get this out there. First, I do all my own work, from changing all oil in everything to rebuilding a few motors, I ride a 07 ultra classic, fly paramotors, jet ski, and fish when I can, from my boat. I have a off shore 21ft proline boat with 225 Evinrude and just acquired a 15ft cc 35hp merc for the river. This CC 15 footer was used and in mint condition.
I have always used TWC3 super tech from Walmart, yeah it's cheap, but effective, it works. It comes in a blue gallon jug, also so does the one gallon of transmission fluid I had bought for the my big boats steering fluid. Somehow they both ended up on the big boat oil box. When I got the little boat last week it came with a empty fuel tank. Went to the big boat, grabbed the gallon jug of two stroke oil, but it was'nt, I misstakingly grabbed the transmission fluid, and for a very tight well running outboard motor and poured 13 oz for five gallons of high test gas. yes it was red, I also buy two stroke red line racing oil which is red also. Red did not throw me off as to it being anything else other than two stroke oil.
After all, this is a maden voyage for my new to me little boat in mint condition. My wife and I ran up and down the river before finally heading north for about 12 miles and back, she drove and ran it full throttle before I noticed it and had her slow it down. We came back with 1/2 gallon left over out of a six gallon tank.
A few days later, today, I decided to go again by myself. I pulled the jug from under the seat and there were the words, mostly faded due to old jug I leave on the boat,,,, Transmission fluid. OH ****. My new engine.
I dumped that half gallon out and put new oil, the right one, duh, and again high test super gas and hit the river again. Would'nt idle at first, getting nervous. Bulb wasn't pumped. It got up to speed ok but every little vibration and tick I blame on using the wrong oil. It all could have been normal operation, I didn't know, the motor is new to me. I ran out 3 gallons today and finally got home and quickly got my pressure tester out. I pulled a 120 psi on top cylinder, could not check bottom one due to not enough room for it to fit for checking it. I think it may be fine. I think I may have got lucky. I am 56 and misstakes are coming more quickly now and need to write on back of both hands daily,,, (check twice) on everthing.
If any changes take place in the near future with this 35hp wonder it runs motor, I will inform you again. But as it stands, I think the motor ran just fine, transmission fluid will work, but would not do it again. Further more,, I smelled no exhaust, no blue smoke, sparks plugs were a little black, maybe normal. By the power I had, the rings are ok, I hope the bearings are ok too. thanks for reading if still are. Eddieoops

That's such interesting information.

I have used ATF fluid at 20:1 fuel/oil ratio and noticed no negative effects on my Chinese bicycle engine for the duration of a single tank of fuel. After the test, i reverted back to 2-stroke oil and the engine runs exactly the same as prior to the the ATF test.
In the case of a Chinese Bicycle Engine, they seem to tolerate Automatic Transmission Fluid as a short term substitute to get you home if not having any 2-stroke oil on hand.

I use trans fluid between every oil change in the gas on my truck around 16 ounces. Works great cleans and lubes

Back