22mm Throttle Assembly Help

Hi RusticoRay, If correct the WHizzer should start very easy. All of my personal bikes will start on the first, or second "kick". I place them on the stand, open the fuel line, turn on the choke, place the left pedal at the 11:00 position, pull the compression release lever, swiftly push down on the pedal and release the compression lever at the same time.
A few questions might help get the motor started. Are the belts tight and completely turning the motor over [no belt slippage]? Have you tried starting fluid sprayed into the mouth of the carburetor? When you had it running was the carburetor working OK or not? Have you checked the compression or the lifter clearance? Are you trying to start it in very cold conditions? How many miles on your motor? It isn't normal for a Whizzer to be hard to start.

Hope this will help,

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way. Make sure kill switch is turned on. lol We have all made that mistake. Some of us have made that mistake many times. (me) Also pull the spark plug and clean it or replace it. Quenton is correct (he always is) Whizzers should not be hard to start.

Jim

I put hammer away

Hello,
My belts are tight and turning the motor over. Starting fluid with turn over for a couple of seconds. I havent checked compression or lifters Im a little timid about it. The temp was about 45 - 50 degrees. Definetly not the stuff a week back or so. Toggle to run position, key on, fuel vavle down position, compression lever pulled and push the pedals.
When the bike was running ok the first 300mi or so just stalled a few times at idle in the summer heat. the bike started to get choppy a hesitation kind of action. I drove it for 30 miles or so and was not happy with the performance. I did the steps in my previous post and the bike wouldnt start at all.
Today with the smells of thankgiving dinner still bouncing around in my head I decided to go backwards a few steps. I put the needle back to the middle notch and decided to try #92 jet. It idles high I dont have a tack but its a little higher than the first 300 mi. and it fluctuates down a little bit it does this several times in a minute or two then it dies. It also will die if I try to ride it. The positive is its running and sounds good with the garage door open but any suggestions and possible tutorial on checking lifters would be helpful. The compression I can find the right tool at the local BMW bike shop. I think I read somewhere on the forum that a bit of throttle on test is this so? Thanks in advance. Their are no stupid questions in my case maybe.

Hi RusticoRay,
Still sounds like something may be obstructing one of the carburetor jets. Did you look at the jet you removed to see if it was obstructed? Another possibility might be found with a compression check. If the head gasket is blown or leaking you could get similar symtoms. What color is the exhaust pipe where it leaves the exhaust manifold, original chrome appearance, gold. or blue? You might try noting the current location of the air/fuel adjustment screw[often called the low speed jet, or idle mixture screw], then gently turn it clockwise until it stops [keep track of the number of turns, example...... 1 and 1/2 turns], then adjust back to where it was [sometimes the needle will push obstruction from that location].

Hope this information helps.

Back