Chains 420 chain on a 415 sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto Neumann

Local time
7:21 PM
Hello, I just received my rear sprocket,which is a 415 sprocket;
I got a T8F minibike transmission,whose T8F driving sprocket has been removed;
the only driving sprockets which matches its 5 notched axys are a 428 and a 420.
Is one of these sprockets compatible with a 415 chain?

I just read around that a 415 chain will work on a 420 sprocket just fine,with some
rattling.

What about to get the right 415 driving sprocket,grind a little 4 of the 5 notches; match the longest
notch of the axys with the single one of sprocket;slip the sprocket on the axys together with a piece
of air tube for establish the grip again and so fitting the right driving sprocket?

Last edited:
Chain sizes, the first #4 means the pitch(length between pins) is 4/8 of an inch, the second two numbers, example 20 means it is 2.o/8 inch between the inner links and will fit on a sprocket that is 2/8 inch wide but usually slightly narrower, in a 415 chain the #15 means it is 1.5 eights of an inch wide and fits a 1.5 eights sprocket(also known as 3/16 inch) so a wider chain will fit on a narrower sprocket but with side play, the first number has to match, the 4 in a 420 chain has to match all the sprockets the chain is on.

just did one of those for a customer last week - we went with a #41 industrial chain and it works OK (just a tad wide on rear sprocket)

Chain sizes, the first #4 means the pitch(length between pins) is 4/8 of an inch, the second two numbers, example 20 means it is 2.o/8 inch between the inner links and will fit on a sprocket that is 2/8 inch wide but usually slightly narrower, in a 415 chain the #15 means it is 1.5 eights of an inch wide and fits a 1.5 eights sprocket(also known as 3/16 inch) so a wider chain will fit on a narrower sprocket but with side play, the first number has to match, the 4 in a 420 chain has to match all the sprockets the chain is on.

Thanks,I'll save it down!

just did one of those for a customer last week - we went with a #41 industrial chain and it works OK (just a tad wide on rear sprocket)

Good..Shall I get the 420 sprocket or shall I risk to modify the axys?
Tomorrow I'm going to crack open my transmission and see if the internal sprocket it's fixed with a nut or if it's as I'm afraid: The axys directly welded with two spots on the sprocket.
If I can find around an axys which supports the single notched 420 10T sprockets I'll go after swapping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back