50W 6Amp Alternator for Bicycles that WORKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an idea to solve the last part of the problem, undue wear on the rc tire. Try to find a polyurethane tire or bond on a sheath of polyurethane to your wheel. Polyurethane is very abrasion resistant. Maybe McMaster Carr has the urethane. There are Polyurethane adhesives you can try. MS

undue wear on the rc tire

Thanks @Deleted Member 4613! I just replaced one of those worn rc tires, it lasted 105 miles. I had heard about polyurathane being abrasion resistant.

I think I have on of those puncture resistant inner tube protectors around here somewhere. If I can find it I'll have plenty, to "Gorilla Glue" on when I use all my RC tires. On these roads I dont think it'll take long.

The paved roads here in central Tx are mostly asphalt with lots of loose black rock and tar. I think the RC tire would have lasted longer on smoother roads.

So far so good on the battery charging. No blown fuses, or bulbs, and the alternator is holding up nicely. Its actually tougher than I thought.

With the alternator being made in China, and with all the other problems I've had with Chinese, Taiwanese, Koran, Sri Lankan, Mexican, made trash I've been half way expecting for it to disintergrate from rotating so fast!

Here's an idea to solve the last part of the problem, undue wear on the rc tire. Try to find a polyurethane tire or bond on a sheath of polyurethane to your wheel. Polyurethane is very abrasion resistant. Maybe McMaster Carr has the urethane. There are Polyurethane adhesives you can try. MS

Speaking about polyurethane tire, Roller skate wheel (s) are made from polyurethane? If the inside diameter is less or the same as the alternator, then one of these could be used and even sculpted to fit the tire profile. :unsure:

Speaking about polyurethane tire

I had considered trying to adapt a polyurethane skateboard wheel, but I don't think theres enough room. Theres only a few millimeters between the alternator and bike tire so whatever is used MUST be very thin.

A skateboard wheel would have to be hollowed out to 54mm to fit over the alternator.

If a skateboard wheel is large enough for that, it may have to be machined on the outer surface as well for the necessary clearance requirements. There would have to be a LOT of machining done.

When I changed the RC tire on the alternator, this time I stretched it over the alternator inside out with the tires tread against the body. Added a little "Gorilla Glue" to help keep it in position helps. Turned inside out, it grips a lot better, is quieter, smoother, and the bikes rolling resistance is reduced!

Maybe one of the 'friction-drive' threads will have other ideas.
Could you possibly use adhesive and grit directly on the body of the alternator?
(I've been thinking a little and can't come up with anything else.)

There is one more idea but it is a little complicated. That is to mold a special part that fits over the pulley on the alternator, from polyurethane. PE is available in several hardness types. It would require making a female mold with the pulley dipped in the mold, then pouring in the PE. If you wish to explore this idea, go to
www.smooth-on.com. They have several PE formulas with excellent abrasion resistance. Mike

That sounds better than my suggestion, depending on how hard it is to do and keep it well-centred.

One problem with PE, though, is that it's a fairly low-friction material, so getting it to grip well could be a problem. (A softer type would be best in this regard.)

Just spotted this:
on my drive wheel for my weed whacker friction drive bike I jb weld a piece of #36 grit sanding belt (available @ home cheapo etal) all around the drive wheel (cut to fit diameter). Zip tie the piece of belt on the drive until it hardens, then cut the zip ties off and go. Works great even when wet. I tried the jb weld and sand trick first but I couldn't get it even enough to keep the vibrations down.
in this thread: How do you Improve the Grip of a Drive Roller?

He claims: 'I get about 300 or so miles out of a tire with this set up. With a real high quality tire I may get more miles.' Not bad.

I wonder...

Last edited:
Better yet mold the PE around your rc tire, easier to do than around the pulley.

He doesn't use the pulley. As I understand this alternator, the base plate is solidly-mounted to the bike frame and the whole body of the alternator rotates. (There is a pulley moulded into the end of the alternator body, though, that spins with it.)
flattracker drives the body of the alternator, with the tire wrapped around it. The PE could be applied directly to the alternator body, as could a section of sanding belt.

Personally, after a bit more reading, I wouldn't totally discount the sanding-belt idea without trying it. Simple and cheap, if it works OK. (Sanding belts are designed for high-friction applications, after all.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back