BBS02 reversing?

scalewiz

Local time
6:36 AM
I am building an electric quadracycle with something called a Rhoades Car. (It's parbikes now). This cycle has a dual derailler system, and the drive sprocket is located on the left instead of a normal bicycle's sprocket on the right. My question is, can the Bafang BBS02 be reversed in its rotation? If not, I must redesign the drive/chain system. And, will this affect reliability due to the rotation change?

This question is better suited to endless sphere on how to get the controller to tur the motor in reverse. But I do know that the motor can be reversed, its all in the programming of the controller. The derailleur will stop you however because it freewheels. Hypothetically if you had a fixed gear on the rear it could reverse and do regen but you give up being multispeed.

If you go 72 volt you will need to bypass the stock controller anyhow.

This question is better suited to endless sphere on how to get the controller to tur the motor in reverse. But I do know that the motor can be reversed, its all in the programming of the controller. The derailleur will stop you however because it freewheels. Hypothetically if you had a fixed gear on the rear it could reverse and do regen but you give up being multispeed.

If you go 72 volt you will need to bypass the stock controller anyhow.
I don't think op means to reverse as in back up. He explained that his chain is on the opposite side than most bikes, and I think this is why he needs it to run in reverse.

In theory the reversing of the motor is doable. On a basic level it's just a matter of reversing the phases of the motor driver. If that will cause other issues related to the Bafang system in particular I can't say. If it reads a Hall or Encoder on the motor, then a controller would solve all of those issues. Your question may be better posed to a Bafang group of some kind, or a professional ebike builder.

Correct. Not a reverse to back up, but a reverse in rotation direction due to the sprocket being on the opposite side. Something would need to be changed with the wiring, and as for the gearing will it be reliable if operated in a reverse direction. I realize this is a strange question but maybe someone out there has done something like this. Otherwise, if necessary, I may just have to design a motor mount and use a standard electric motor and go straight to rear axle. This creature is a little different. It has a freewheel mechanism on each rear wheel creating a differential, in addition to freewheels for the deraillers.

Correct. Not a reverse to back up, but a reverse in rotation direction due to the sprocket being on the opposite side. Something would need to be changed with the wiring, and as for the gearing will it be reliable if operated in a reverse direction. I realize this is a strange question but maybe someone out there has done something like this. Otherwise, if necessary, I may just have to design a motor mount and use a standard electric motor and go straight to rear axle. This creature is a little different. It has a freewheel mechanism on each rear wheel creating a differential, in addition to freewheels for the deraillers.
Could you do a twin hub motor on those rear wheels?

I think you would be better off redesigning your chain drive setup. If were me I would use a peerless differential in the rear to drive both wheels.

Here is a peerless series differential. A drive sprocket bolts to the carrier.
They also have a freewheel on each axle, so when you turn the wheels wont hop/scrub on the pavement. It also acts a positive differential with the internal freewheels. Every piece of this diff is serviceable.
Screenshot_20240229-220633_Chrome.jpg

Back