A tensioner with style and functionality

Hello from Lansing Michigan,
This is a tensioner that I made for my very first MB build, I wanted nice tensioner on a low budget, solid and beautiful, I finally got to use my degrees in art. I added an led light to add to the appeal.
IMG_20160327_195708.jpg
IMG_20160327_195708.jpg
IMG_20160327_194616.jpg
IMG_20160327_195708.jpg
IMG_20160327_194616.jpg

So what if it cost $1200 or $1500 for a quality motorized bicycle. That is not really a lot of money anymore.
And it could last a long time, probably over 10 years.
It would not be for everybody, but I think someone should make such a bike, or the parts to build it.
Someone does ;-}

2_EmeraldDoneL-1280.jpg

RedGT2done2L.jpg

You CAN buy factory made electric bicycles. I actually rode a Pedego. Excellent engineering and build quality, but for the range I wanted, nearly $3500.

You could build a gas powered bike for a third of that, with unlimited range.
The main thing is that it be 48cc, and look exactly like a bicycle, not a scooter or a moped.
You should be able to pick it up and carry it around.
It should have bicycle wheels and fully functional pedals, not like a moped. Ever try to pedal a moped?
49cc is close enough.
Virtually no drag pedaling with the engine off.
At ~80# wet not friendly to just pick up and carry around though.

Then again they run on regular gas, have an automatic clutch, and gears ;-}

Please Note!
I WILL NOT have kits available until late this year!

Someone does ;-}

2_EmeraldDoneL-1280.jpg

RedGT2done2L.jpg

49cc is close enough.
Virtually no drag pedaling with the engine off.
At ~80# wet not friendly to just pick up and carry around though.

Then again they run on regular gas, have an automatic clutch, and gears ;-}

Please Note!
I WILL NOT have kits available until late this year!

What is the cost?

What is the cost?
~$1,500, just depends on what you want on it.
I start with a bare new GT2A-150 frame and new Ftio Modea GT2 bicycle and go from there.
http://www.bikebuyers.com/fito-modena-gt-alloy-7sp-men.htm

modena_gt2_alloy_man_allmblk.jpg

They cost me $350 delivered and have the cool parts for the GT2A-150 gas tank frame that fit.
Pretty much that bike with a gas tank top bar and engine mounts.

Bare kits will be much lower, but even kits will have have options for powder coating and parts selection like front forks and such, and am also working on a Full Build option that includes break down and boxing to cut shipping costs but assemble easy with all my special touch's intact. I pretty excited about that and my first one coming up.

BUT back to tensioners...
I have never EVER built a bike that took out a spoke using the stock bolt on tensioner and rag joint sprocket.

First, you can't route chain around a tire with the tensioner.
The top of your engine sprocket needs to be in direct alignment with the top of the back sprocket.

After that it all starts with the back sprocket.
If it's dead true you don't need no stinking spring tensioner.

After that it is just a matter of the tensioner pulley being directly under the chain and again in alignemet with it on all three planes.
You can do this by twisting the long part of the mount, understanding that you can put the long side of the mount that holds the pulley on the inside as well at the stock kits outside mount.

I can't help but feel for the guys that mount the tensioner long side on the outside because they come that way and lean the thing in to hit the chain.
No wonder so many get broken spokes, it's already leaning in because it's not under the chain.

I know most have no mechanical knowledge, but learn this, if' it's not true and tight in it will fail ;-}

Back